Er5 water problems

Quackerzakieee

Hi all having issue with bike over heating first noticed problem on ride home from work bike temperature light came on so stopped checked radiator was warm n nothing so waited for bike to cool down n got home took fuel tank off n topped up coolant (seemed empty)

Squeezed all pipes n everything to get air out n took for test ride. It was pumping coolant round engine fine for first part of ride was frequently feeling radiator temp warm to sart off with then nothing again temp light came back on pulled over and coolant was coming out of overfill pipe under bike so started again next day thinking may have still been air in system n same thing i can't take to garage as just cost me 1000 for mot 2 weeks ago!!! Anyone know what problem may be?

Slowly giving up with bike but already committed

Cheers.

I've seen this before . Before getting too technical , are you sure it's not just overfilled ? If the expansion tank is already full to the brim there's nowhere for the coolant to go when it expands except down the overflow tube . A few questions then . Does the fan kick in prior to this happening ? When was the last time you inspected the pressure relief valve ? To be honest I've never had a problem with my ER5's cooling system but I did try to help someone with the same problem as yours and I never really got to the bottom of it . Don't give up on it , these are great little bikes once they are sorted .

PhotoEditor_20190724_181238279.thumb.jpg.56979482a515551db00038f097f56dc6.jpg

Edited by fastbob

Yeah fan kicks in soon as temp light comes on n expansion tank wasnt overfilled n after second test ride bike was completly empty just seems to be dunping moast of water n boilling off the rest in my mind n yeah really dont want to give up on it is a brilliant bike when working just looking hope with all the problems its had aha

Yeah fan kicks in soon as temp light comes on n expansion tank wasnt overfilled n after second test ride bike was completly empty just seems to be dunping moast of water n boilling off the rest in my mind n yeah really dont want to give up on it is a brilliant bike when working just looking hope with all the problems its had aha

I think it's the pressure relief valve opening too early . Have a read of the description . The whole idea is to suppress boiling by keeping the water under pressure. Maybe the seal has perished or the spring has weakened .

Is that the thermostat cap your on about needing replacing possibly?

It's part of the filler cap yes , the thermostat is elsewhere. If it can't withstand 18 psi it will open too early . The reduced pressure will lower the boiling point of the water and the boiling water will come out and over fill the expansion tank which will piss on the floor . So the culprit is the filler cap / relief valve .

PhotoEditor_20190724_185226926.thumb.jpg.22455b94182801bbb65cb79438736cfd.jpg

Edited by fastbob

Yeah orderd another 2nd hand cap couldn't find any new ones should be here saturday so hope it does the trick will keep you updated cheers for the help

Your welcome . There's just a chance that there is some muck on the valve seats in the filler neck . Unfortunately you can only test the cap with a special tool that's bound to cost ten times what the cap does.

Yeah money is pretty tight at moment so cheapest things first still to get new clutch sorted soon as thats on its way out aswell but there only 50 quid or so so dont mind paying that as long as i can get this problem sorted first

Edited by Quackerzakieee

N no put in radiator cap for the bike n only 2 came up aha quick question aswell going to probs sound like a moron but how you upload images as click on image icon n [/img] that comes up

Attachments , Add files , select the image , submit . I do all my IT on a smart phone so I don't know about PCs . I've also got the ER5 manual PDF in my phone which is handy . I can go straight to camera if I want to. Like that . Good luck , I'm off out on the Harley now .

15639928970957864779440847626350.thumb.jpg.05ed13b71e5634377d79dc34eb03c44e.jpg

Yeah aha lucky you enjoy the sun took my old 125 out to the pub felt like im on a moped :D brings back memorys :offtopic: :cheers:

It's all relative . My ER5 feels like a 125 now . It's still a great bike to ride though . I feel much more comfortable in heavy traffic on it which is great if I have to go into Wolverhampton to get Harley bits .

Quick update on bike put new rad cap on filled with coolant and bled all the air out. Took bike for a ride lil while later and no joy still got a little coolant coming out of overflow dosnt seem as much but probably just wishful thinking lol

Quick update on bike put new rad cap on filled with coolant and bled all the air out. Took bike for a ride lil while later and no joy still got a little coolant coming out of overflow dosnt seem as much but probably just wishful thinking lol

New cap as in brand new or second hand ? If it's still doing it with a brand new cap then it doesn't look so good . You just might be looking at a head gasket leak . It's not the end of the world but your engine might end up looking like this for a while .

PhotoEditor_20190801_201910702.thumb.jpg.fad2a8097b479fa11aec42b2cb99f0e2.jpg