I watched Dave Moss tuning vids and now I have questions.

Pbassred

1/ Cable tie on the front shock tells me that I'm using 75% of the travel. Should I think about adjusting? The 2015 CBR500R doesn't have preload adjuster and its the stock spring, so a change would mean some kind of aftermarket part.

2/ He adjusts the handlebar angle to line up with the rider's knuckles. My handlebars have a pin that stops me doing that. Is that the same for most bikes?

0/ Who?

1/ 75%? Anyway, you can also change the damping rate by changing the oil weight.

2/ Yeah, most do. You can grind the pin off or re-drill the bars.

3/ What's your sag?

0/ http://

2/ from static to bottoming out is a length. I'm using 3/4 of that length. Should I change that or leave it? HOW should I change it? OIL, proload, or stiffer spring?

3/ I can do that.

4/ at the front? I've never done that :oops: I'll do this

In the morning.

0/ Who?

1/ 75%? Anyway, you can also change the damping rate by changing the oil weight.

2/ Yeah, most do. You can grind the pin off or re-drill the bars.

3/ What's your sag?

This guy is a suspension guru with a sycophantic cult following according to t'internet .

I had six different variables I could adjust on the suspension system on my GSXR . In the end I just set everything to medium and learned to live with it . Apart from shock preload the Harley has one suspension setting . Shite . Brilliant , one less thing to worry about . :thumb:

0). Never heard of this guy, but I am always a little suspicious of internet gurus

1) unless you are setting the bike up for track action I don't see the point in messing about with it. For road use it's probably best to have a little left in reserve

2) can't comment on this - not something I'm familiar with. Adjusting the lever angles makes perfect sense for comfort, not so sure about the benefits of changing bar angle

Bottom line is it's your bike, so if you want to tinker with stuff then have at it, tinker away

This guy is a suspension guru with a sycophantic cult following according to t'internet .

Oh right, cheers.

I'll look him up. I'm happy to learn new stuff if it's quality info... We shall see!

Also I misread first time round [mention]Pbassred[/mention], you can increase the pre-load by adding shims to the spring if need be.

The best way to learn is to do but give yourself a fighting chance by reading about all aspects of suspension and the impact of each aspect on the others rather than just focussing on one thing i.e. spring rate/pre-load.

I've got the K-Tech suspension manual - it's cheesy as f**k but does have the principles and explains in very simple terms (it's an American book) what, why, how etc. Plus it has loads of stripdown/rebuild examples in the back.

The best way to learn is to do but give yourself a fighting chance by reading about all aspects of suspension and the impact of each aspect on the others rather than just focussing on one thing i.e. spring rate/pre-load.
You're right. No focusing at all. That's why I'm asking the question. Is 75% ok? Or is that considered soggy? Preload/spring rate / wrong oil , but only if matters. I'm not looking for performance or I wouldn't be on a CBR500. I AM looking to stay shiny side up, and suspension is probable the second most important element of a bike.

Mr Honda knows more than me but perhaps he didn't anticipate a 93kg bloke expanding his skill level! :mrgreen:

1/ Cable tie on the front shock tells me that I'm using 75% of the travel.

When are you using 75%, during normal riding?

If you adjust things so that you're using more than that day to day then you run the risk of the forks bottoming out when you have to do an emergency stop. Not a good idea.

1/ Cable tie on the front shock tells me that I'm using 75% of the travel.

When are you using 75%, during normal riding?

If you adjust things so that you're using more than that day to day then you run the risk of the forks bottoming out when you have to do an emergency stop. Not a good idea.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this 75% of travel wasn't under heavy braking .