ZX10b rough running

Topbanana0

Ok, so I have a 1989 ZX10 b2.

Bike starts ok on the choke, then struggles to tick over unless lots of choke is used.

It revs high then when you reduce choke, struggles to run and sounds lumpy.

The carbs were sonic cleaned and balanced in 2017, by the previous owner. But unfortunately the bike hasn't been used since.

I'm suspecting it's a fuel (carb) issue, where would you start.

Ok, so I have a 1989 ZX10 b2.

Bike starts ok on the choke, then struggles to tick over unless lots of choke is used.

It revs high then when you reduce choke, struggles to run and sounds lumpy.

The carbs were sonic cleaned and balanced in 2017, by the previous owner. But unfortunately the bike hasn't been used since.

I'm suspecting it's a fuel (carb) issue, where would you start.

Definitely drain the carbs and tank and add fresh fuel . If that has no effect I would pop the tops off the carbs , carefully lift out the slides , needles and diaphragms and clean any sludge off the slides and tracks . Check for holes in the diaphragms while you're at it . I've done this a couple of times when my GSXR was a bit grumpy after being laid up for the winter .

check the carb to engine rubbers especially the balancing spigot rubber bung covers ( little brass pipes that stick out of these and have a rubber bung on them

798598951_Screenshot_20190807-191633_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.32483aa20128490a3ff412a8d167f50a.jpg

these can perish and allow air to weaken the mix hence running on choke

check the carb to engine rubbers especially the balancing spigot rubber bung covers ( little brass pipes that stick out of these and have a rubber bung on them

Screenshot_20190807-191633_Samsung Internet.jpg

these can perish and allow air to weaken the mix hence running on choke

Thanks for the diagram, I'll be getting on it at the weekend :up:

So I stripped the carbs, found them to be dirty inside.

And two of the pilot jets were blocked.

Completely stripped it, cleaned everything.

I think the main problem with the bike being laid up, was the fuel tap was/is fault. It wouldn't turn off, the last owner thought he turned it off but fuel was always going to carbs.

Anyway bike now runs fine :D probably going to balance carb in the future.

YouTube video might follow soon

Sorry about the emoji in last post, I appear to be giving you the finger. Thought it was a thumbs up :oops: