Enduro service intervals

manxie49

I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand 4 stroke 250 KTM enduro bike for riding the green lanes, now I need a bit of advice from any enduro riders regarding service intervals. I know the guys that race these machines are changing oil and filters all the time, I can appreciate that considering how they ride them, if all I'm doing is a bit of green laning, would service intervals be comparable to my road bike? Or do I need to do oil and filter changes more frequently on those machines? Haven't done green laning for a long time and things have changed a lot, the last bike I did it on was a 250 Suzuki ER250 and I don't recall doing anything extra special to that other than keeping it clean, greased and oiled. Cheers guys.

I would imagine it would be very similar to the intervals for road miles, but with more clutch plate replacements :lol:

Green lanes are only short, I don't see how it would affect anything unless you're planning to cross the country on them or something.

i have heard that ktm's are expensive to maintain if you are not doing it yourself

Cheers, I did hear that but I also heard that there the most reliable?? I shortlisted my choice to KTM, Husqvarna and Yamaha, I'd like to find out a bit more about the husky?

I would imagine it would be very similar to the intervals for road miles, but with more clutch plate replacements :lol:

Green lanes are only short, I don't see how it would affect anything unless you're planning to cross the country on them or something.

I did think this with regards to servicing but wasn't sure, I'm still trying to decide what bike to go for, then there's the mine field of buying a second hand enduro "they get punished". Most tracks are short, the island is pretty unique for a small place though, we have over 45 designated tracks with the longest being about six miles long and I believe there is about 80 miles of green lanes, this is why its popular here. :thumb:

I have a Husqvarna .. 701 Enduro .. its fitted with a KTM motor … its the oil spec that's the issue .. its expensive because its an odd weight and fully synthetic … 10W50 API SN Fully Synthetic Ester … from Halfords or my local dealer .. £35-40 for 4 litres … road use I change once a year .. yours I would double that..

PS.. the rest of the maintenance schedule will be a pain .. in particular the valve clearances intervals ..

I have a Husqvarna .. 701 Enduro .. its fitted with a KTM motor … its the oil spec that's the issue .. its expensive because its an odd weight and fully synthetic … 10W50 API SN Fully Synthetic Ester … from Halfords or my local dealer .. £35-40 for 4 litres … road use I change once a year .. yours I would double that..

PS.. the rest of the maintenance schedule will be a pain .. in particular the valve clearances intervals ..

I must admit I quite like the Husky 701, finding a decent 2nd hand one is difficult though, other than oil are there any other service specific issues for the 701? Are they pretty reliable?

you could go for one of the old yam ttr 250's

I did see one of these for sale, my concern would be that in the enduro world its quite an old bike, Yamaha no longer make them and parts could be a challenge to get hold of. Yamaha is a good make, usually pretty reliable, I've ridden Yam's for a few years now with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit I quite like the Husky 701, finding a decent 2nd hand one is difficult though, other than oil are there any other service specific issues for the 701? Are they pretty reliable?

you`ll be lucky to find a clean 2nd hand item .. these things are bought by off roaders .. seriously tryin to explain to a numpty that i don`t want to do the north face of the eiger on one was a pain .. 3 times ..

if you use it for road and little else it will be fine ... but they do have little niggles which need keepin on top of .. it is not japanese and cannot be neglected as such...

you`ll be lucky to find a clean 2nd hand item .. these things are bought by off roaders .. seriously tryin to explain to a numpty that i don`t want to do the north face of the eiger on one was a pain .. 3 times ..

if you use it for road and little else it will be fine ... but they do have little niggles which need keepin on top of .. it is not japanese and cannot be neglected as such...

Cheers, I've been looking at the 4 Stroke Yams as well, I'm having the same problems, trying to get people to understand that I just want to do some green laning, I don't want to race and I don't want to become an MX whizz either, Been really tempted by a 350 KTM 4T and a Yam WR250, both with less than 40hrs use, within my budget as well, the Yam is anyway, I keep hearing really good things about the KTM but I keep hearing them from hardcore enduro riders .... :thumb: