How to best look after my bike

James in Brum

I have not adequately looked after my Chinese 125. Through ignorance rather than apathy. I changed the oil really quite often but have done nothing about other things. The 'head race' bearing went after only 5600 miles.

Flip side of this. I have a 1990 zzr600 (yay) in good condition. I have bought the Haynes manual for it and plan to follow the servicing advice in it. Are there good things I can do not mentioned in the manual? Does it matter who made the filters that I might replace etc? Are there good brands and bad?

There are differing opinions on filters but most people recommend against buying Fram. HiFlo used to be good but last I heard they have gone downhill to the point where K&N had to find a different supplier. For air filters I'd always recommend sticking with whatever the original manufacturer installed, paper is actually really good at filtering air and it doesn't matter if it's restrictive because it'll be made big enough to not matter.

In my experience the best things you can do (especially if riding in all weathers) is to keep the chain greasy and not let the brake calipers stick on too much before cleaning them out. Also beware of age related nonsense like rusty tanks and cracking pipes!

Frankly my number one thing would be frequent oil and filter changes using decent quality kit. Everything else you can sort and replace but engine health is make or break.

My next thing is winter preparation with anti corrosion spray and regular inspections.

Most modern bikes are built to pretty amazing specifications but a bit of preventative tlc goes a long way towards keeping them going.

I use ACF50 on most bits other than the brakes and controls. Either sprayed into hard to reach areas like rear suspension, or applied with a cloth on most other places. A cotton bud is a good way to get it into recessed bolts without getting too much all over the place.

Welcome to the forum. The manual is a very good investment on any bike, good start. Agree about oil and filter. Remember to warm the bike up gently from cold i.e keep revs down but the load light. Make the brakes you first priority, and keep them clean, and dust free as poss. Check tires for pressure and foreign bits every ride.

Keep posting and a pic of the bike would be nice.

Rob B