Bike storage

Fangface

Morning all, I have just got a suzuki tlr which I'm going to keep in the garage till summer next year any advice on best storage methods or tips etc. The battery is fitted with a otomizer, has fuel in the tank and front & rear paddock stands too all cleaned and polished.....anything else need doing to it? Tia mike.

Have you sorned it or will you keep the insurance up to date, i would drain the fuel tank unless you plan on running it on a weekly basis, but a word of caution if doing that it won't do the battery any good also the oily bits still need to be oiled rubber will dry out if not oiled, so internal seals will degrade quickly if not maintained :thumb:

If it's a dry and relatively warm garage you don't need to do anything really . I stored my GSXR for ten winters . I just parked it and then started it up again in the spring . I never charged or maintained the battery and it lasted for seven years . ( Yuasa )

Have you sorned it or will you keep the insurance up to date, i would drain the fuel tank unless you plan on running it on a weekly basis, but a word of caution if doing that it won't do the battery any good also the oily bits still need to be oiled rubber will dry out if not oiled, so internal seals will degrade quickly if not maintained :thumb:

Why do people always say drain the fuel? Storing a bike with an empty tank is a great way to encourage the inside of your tank to rust.

And starting a bike up weekly just generates condensation inside the engine/gearbox.

Full tank, turn off the petrol tap if you have one, plug it into a trickle charger, stick a cover over it to prevent it getting dusty and leave it! Rotate the wheels occasionally if you don't want tyres flat spotting but even that's optional.

Yep , all of the above . Why would you drain the tank ? To be fair , I wouldn't store a bike with £20 worth of petrol in it either . All you need is enough to get to the garage in the springtime .

fuel goes stale after a few months, it will still work but whenever i have had engines in storage i have always drained it, i always have fresh fuel around so no big deal putting in fresh when needed each to their own :thumb: :cheers:

fuel goes stale after a few months

No it doesn't.

When unleaded was first introduced this was a recognised problem. I used to have people who were getting a laid up car running having problems starting them until they added a few gallons of fresh fuel.

I believe lawnmower repair guys made a small fortune 'fixing' mowers that wouldn't start in the spring by simply replacing the petrol.

You don't hear it as much these days and I've never had any problems with fuel I've stored in the garage for power tools. Neither did my classic cars have any problems after a winter lay up, but I did use fuel additives in them due to their age.

In answer to the OP's question, I'd change the oil before winter storage. Old oil is acidic due to combustion byproducts so better do your oil change before storage

You may or may not have seen it but ... white spider shite! If you've ever seen tiny white spots on your bike or car that's garaged then you'll have seen white spider shite. We get it in work on bikes and guys bring their bikes into the shop with tiny white spots on their tanks. So my point ... a cheap bike cover is a must if you havn't got one already.

I had to lay a bike up for over a year some time ago. I left it with about 2/3rds full of petrol and a good splodge of this https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/254309453138. When the bike was uncovered it started on the button and ran as good as before it was laid up. How much 'Sta-bil' contributed to this, I don't know, but I would use it again if I had to.

If it's a dry and relatively warm garage you don't need to do anything really . I stored my GSXR for ten winters . I just parked it and then started it up again in the spring . I never charged or maintained the battery and it lasted for seven years . ( Yuasa )

one of the best batteries going are yuasa they used to come as a standard fitment on yamahas don't know what they use now

Thanks for all the advice and tips👍 I have 5 litres of fuel in the tank, front and rear paddock stands In place, new yuasa battery with optimate fitted, recent service and oil change etc then I've cleaned and polished it and put a bike cover over it so fingers crossed it will be ok. I might add the fuel additive as mentioned to be on the safe side. Also has anyone used acf50 anti corrosion spray?

Thanks for all the advice and tips👍 I have 5 litres of fuel in the tank, front and rear paddock stands In place, new yuasa battery with optimate fitted, recent service and oil change etc then I've cleaned and polished it and put a bike cover over it so fingers crossed it will be ok. I might add the fuel additive as mentioned to be on the safe side. Also has anyone used acf50 anti corrosion spray?

If you do decide to use the additive, make sure once you've mixed it in the tank, to run the engine for a few minutes to ensure it gets into the carbs / injectors. :thumb:

acf50 ... there's quite a bit of stuff on youtube which is useful to watch... I've been using it for a year or 2 now and in my particular case it's been really good. I bought a 12 year old bike that had spent some of it's life not being used and left outside on occasions. The result was bit of rust around the frame e.t.c. I've been spraying the affected areas with acf50 and the rust hasn't worsened and if anything it isn't as noticeable anymore. So in my case a result.

Cheers folks, I'm sure all will be good over the winter months with all the advice and tips on here. Think I will strip the fairing off, clean inside and use the acf 50 and fuel additive just to make sure shes ok. The fairing has a small crack that needs repairing on it so might aswell take it off too.

If will have a winter hibernation I will drain and clean and dry the petrol tank leave it open

Drain old oil and fill up to the top with fresh

Lift it of the floor ( wheels) so no pressure to the tyres and suspension.

For long winter dreams it is always better to empty tank many different reasons

Otherwise if is for 2 or 3 months just forget about

Why is every so obsessed with draining the petrol out!?

And leaving the tank open exposes the inside to damp air allowing surface rust to form.

Keep some petrol in there and periodically slosh it about to coat the inside of the tank with petrol and help prevent surface rust.