CBR600RR 04 No fuel prime or HISS light on startup

Martink13

Hi,

I’m after some advise with regards to a no start issue I have with my CBR600RR 2004. The issue is that it turns over but the fuel pump isn’t priming, nor is the HISS light coming on for a couple seconds as it should when first turn on. Its an intermittent fault, it will work fine for a long period and then stop working again all of a sudden.

I have done some fault finding with the aid of Haynes manual wiring diagram:

Have attached the wiring diagram as may be helpful to others.

30A fuse (H) ok

10A BAS fuse (D) ok

Power direct to to fuel pump and is working

Killswitch ok, can hear relay clicking

Engine relay checked anyway and ok.

Have 12v to engine relay (smaller red/white and black wires) So BAS must be ok

Linked together larger red/white and black/white wires on engine relay plug and getting 12v at pin16 on ECM (grey plug)

Checked ECM earths (black plug pin 4 and 18) and have continuity to battery and at frame

Check BAS supply at plug with ignition on (white/ black and green wires have 11.5v, red/white and green wires have 11.5v)

I think fault is more to do with the HISS as at the ECM black plug, pink wire 30, I have nothing. I’m sure this should be 9v, as there is a diode in the HISS.

So my problems seems to be that I have no power to the ECM.

I am at a bit of a loss now and don’t know what the next fault finding step is. Any advise?

Thanks

Martin

have you got anything else attached to the battery apart from the main connections? I had a issue with my cbf600sa-8 with it not firing up after It had started straight away first thing in the morning without any issues, but would then not fire when coming back to it to ride home. I cured it by changing the bolts and nuts on the battery and making sure they were done up tight. the fuel pump draws quite a lot of current to prime the injectors and poor contact with battery terminals seemed to be the problem since the change I have had no other problems with starting it

One thing you could take a look at is the yellow earth block if you haven't already done so. Honda often put all earth connection points through a yellow or black connector block which effectively joins them together through a bar that plugs in to the connector. Over time this connector suffers from corrosion causing all sorts of intermittent errors. I had a problem on a blackbird where the bike would intermittently cut out and it drove me nuts until I read about it, poked the block in the loom and the bike cut out. I cut the connector off and joined all the earth wires by soldering ring connectors to them and bolting them together (I didn't have a soldering iron strong enough to solder them all in one lump) and then connected this to the frame which solved the problem.

I don't know where it would be on your bike but on the blackbird it was taped in to the loom on the left side of the bike attached to the rear subframe just behind the battery. Google should be able to help you find it. You'll be looking for a lump taped in to the loom.

Hi.

All the grounds are crimped in lugs and bolt directly to the frame on the LHS. I’ve removed all these and cleaned with scotch bright and reinstalled with copper washers. Still no better. I’m getting continuity from the ECM to the ground terminals also. Thank you

Hi , forget the 9volt and Pink wire ,thats in the USA and they dont have HISS but a Diode in the Ignition switch that reduces the 12v to approx 9v, which it wants to operate the ignition, you need to be checking the Yellow/Red and Green/Orange wires at the ECM and Antenna connectors where you should get a Voltage DC of approx 5v, have you retrieved any faults through the DLC, the Halo around the ignition switch reads the transponder in the key, passes it to the ECM which in turn confirms with the transponder giving you ignition

Hi.

I have checked these at the HISS halo connection block and I have no voltage on any.

Connection block on ECM side I’d like to add.. is this looking like an issue the ECM or could the key be faulty/damaged?

With Ignition on :wink:

Righto

Voltage should be there all the time then when on. Been having another play with it just and I’ve found that I’m only getting about 0.6v to pin 16 on the grey plug to the ECM. Swapped the 3 relays around and same outcome. If I short the engine stop/start relay connector I get 12v to ECM. Why would I be getting such a huge voltage drop? Surely not all the relays are dud.

One thing you could take a look at is the yellow earth block if you haven't already done so. Honda often put all earth connection points through a yellow or black connector block which effectively joins them together through a bar that plugs in to the connector. Over time this connector suffers from corrosion causing all sorts of intermittent errors. I had a problem on a blackbird where the bike would intermittently cut out and it drove me nuts until I read about it, poked the block in the loom and the bike cut out. I cut the connector off and joined all the earth wires by soldering ring connectors to them and bolting them together (I didn't have a soldering iron strong enough to solder them all in one lump) and then connected this to the frame which solved the problem.

I’ve seen this yellow block on YouTube video but I can’t find it on my bike or any relation to it on the wiring diagram. Is this just on the US models or UK ones too

I don't know where it would be on your bike but on the blackbird it was taped in to the loom on the left side of the bike attached to the rear subframe just behind the battery. Google should be able to help you find it. You'll be looking for a lump taped in to the loom.

Another thing you should try is ,while the ignition is on wiggle the two front lighting harnesses connectors( Blue and Grey), can remember which one it runs through but the BAS runs through it and if the connector is not fitting tightly the BAS will operate a no start issue , the 600rr front lighting harness are well known for this fault

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...