Mechanical help

Clive-aliveRR

Hi every one I’m just new here, I am seeking some advice on my 2003 Cbr600rr I have just recently serviced the bike and now coincidentally after I have done that the bike seems

To be lacking in power it’s just not taking off like it did and also the temperature seems to be rising more quickly the fan comes on when it reaches a certain temperature as normal but it just seems to be rising quicker than it did before.. so like I said I just serviced it. I changed the oil, changed the air filter changed the coolant (note: I did not flush the old coolant out of the system I just emptied the reseviour and put new coolant in to it) I thinking I should maybe flush the coolant out of the system could be something to do with that? But that W ouldn’t make the bike loose power would it? The only way I can describe it is that it feels like the bike has been rescricted but it’s not obviously lol, so if anyone has any ideas they’d be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Well you haven't really changed the coolant if you have only changed what was in the reservoir ,

. Whatever the problem is , if it's occurred after you did a service then it must be something that you have done . You will have to re trace your every step .

Temp, lack of coolant/airlock twisted kinked hose, blocked radiator, radiator covered, ignition timing out, head gasket blown, exhaust restricted baffle collapsed

Lack of power, air intake issue, blocked exhaust, burnt valves, blocked fuel filter, fuel restriction.

The list is endless almost, but as bob said look at what you have done and look for something you may have moved or damaged inadvertently.

Thanks guys! Have heard of guys spraying the air filter with a certain oil? I never done this I just replaced it without doing that but I’m assuming that wouldn’t be anything to do with it, I’m pretty sure it’s something to do with the coolant/radiator to be honest but will look at it this week and let use know how I get on :) I’m hoping it’s a pretty simple problem tho, hopefully nothing to serious like the head gasket :/

Flush all the old coolant out, fill up with a fresh 50/50 mix until tank and rad full, then squeeze large tubes repeatedly until bubbles stop rising to top of rad and tank. Run engine to circulate coolant and once cool, squeeze air out again.

Thanks guys! Have heard of guys spraying the air filter with a certain oil? I never done this I just replaced it without doing that but I’m assuming that wouldn’t be anything to do with it, I’m pretty sure it’s something to do with the coolant/radiator to be honest but will look at it this week and let use know how I get on :) I’m hoping it’s a pretty simple problem tho, hopefully nothing to serious like the head gasket :/

K&N filters should be oiled but not ordinary ones . Check to see if you have installed it correctly .

Lack of power with tendency to get hot quickly makes me wonder if it's running lean. Possibly something to do with the installation of the new air filter or maybe you've got the air box assembled wrong and it's leaking air into the system.

Good advise above ... recheck what you've done, which I'm guessing you have done by now ... did you replace the spark plugs? always worth rechecking the plugs are the correct ones and gapped correctly ... let us know what you discover.

Haven’t checked yet but will do all today thanks for the suggestions guys, funny the thing I dread most is taking the damn fairings on and off. Bloody nightmare to get back on again lol

Which is why , after 20 years of f****g around with lumps of plastic and button head screws that mysteriously disappear , I finally bought a Harley .

Haven’t checked yet but will do all today thanks for the suggestions guys, funny the thing I dread most is taking the damn fairings on and off. Bloody nightmare to get back on again lol

yep that's why i don't buy bikes with fairings anymore,hard work to do a service and first thing to smash when you take a tumble :(

Glad I’m not the only one :D, I have left the bike with a friend who also owns owns a motorcycle repairs shop due to me being to busy with work, so should hopefully know what the problem is soon and shall keep you all updated. He can be the one flinging the fairings about the place now instead of me haha

That is not good news. Must be just a coincidence it went the same time as you serviced it. The only thing you could do to bust a head gasket would be to get an airlock in the engine which could damage the cylinder head if it overheated.

If the bike was running fine before you serviced it, then why would the Head Gasket go! I would seriously get a second opinion.

I've ridden and worked on bikes all my life and rarely do you see a jap bike with Head Gasket issues.

How many miles has this 600 done! But seriously I would get someone like a main dealer to check it, it might be expensive at first, but will save you a lot in the long run.

Oldgrump I’m thinking the same also it’s to much of a coincidence there’s something not right with the bike and I don’t think it’s a head gasket either to be honest he is going to do a compression test and a few other things before he jumps In the deep end, the bike has 15,000 miles on it which isn’t a lot for a 2003 bike and it’s not exactly showing any typical head gasket blown signs, only being down on power and temperature rising faster

So you changed airfilter

Have you installed incorrectly ?

This could be restricting airflow .

If its Choking the engine this can make it get hotter quicker ( leans the air/fuel mixture)

Forgot to re attach a pipe ?

A bike with an ecu will require a correct temp reading to process a suitable setting so if its registering too hotor cold this could affect performance .

You could have a air lock in coolant,

If you have ridden it for any great time the this could have caused overheating in areas of the engine .

Double check all the work you did ie airfilter and all relevant connections

Anyone still active here enlighten me on this?.. Okay turns out it wasn’t the coils either, replaced them and still the same but I think I may have figured out what is causing this, it’s the last thing I can think of and it’s something I think we’ve over looked i might be wrong but when I serviced it I got distracted and put to much oil in it.. could this be causing the symptoms I’m having?

There is white smoke comes from the exhaust when started up but stops once it’s warmed up, I’ve read online that having access oil can effect performance/acceleration due to the crank rotating and catching the access oil throwing it around making it frothy and possibly having it go into the air box also, this is my last option cause everything else on the bike has been checked and seems fine, I have a feeling this may be the cause since it’s happened after i serviced it

Well drain the oil, measure what comes out, then refill to the correct level. Check the air filter as well.

I'm pretty sure any decent workshop would spot a simple error on service items. The oil level window or dipstick is an easy check. Making sure the air filter is in right only takes a few minutes. In terms of the coolant you said you only drained and refilled the header tank but if there's any doubt drain the system and refill it

White smoke from cold is usually only the steam in the exhaust gases condensing. Oil smoke has a blue tinge to it and it lingers in the air longer.