To Streetfight or not to Streetfight

QBoiii

Hi guys and girls,

I'm after a bit of advice please.

I currently ride a YZF600R which is perfect for me. I started on a GS-R750 and found it too bulky, heavy etc. I used to go miles out of my way to avoid a 3rd exit on a roundabout. The Thundercat was recommended to me as I needed something that was comfortable enough to do the commute to work and back, but also sporty enough to aid my mid life crisis and make me think I look younger and more down with the kids. I love the T-Cat, its so much more comfortable and easier to ride, I find I literally just have to think of a corner and I've gone round it. The bike seems a lot more flowing and forgiving and just generally more "me".

My wonderful missus brought a new car in Feb this year with a reversing camera yet decided no to look into it whilst she reversed into the Cat. Not too much damage as I brought it with crash bungs fitted but enough to make me loose heart in it. I've found new fairings from China for around £500 which initially I had no faith on, but after talking to some of the guys on my welcome post, they may not be all that bad. One choice is to purchase and fit these but this is only half the problem. The mirror and stalk need replacing, bar ends, some metal ball has snapped off the foot peg (I think, not the end of the world but its an issue none the less) and a few other small problems.

I also think the bike is starting to look 20+ years old which it is, so this could be my chance to make it fully custom and hide its age a little bit. My main trial for thought at the minute is to street fighter it. Custom headlight, new dials, bar-risers and yolks, straight bar, aftermarket tail light and that's pretty much all I need to buy. The rest just seems to be paining, stripping, re-routing cables, cutting and removing plastics! When it comes to colour schemes, I have seen a lovely example that had a chromed frame and a House of Kolour Candy Red tank, tail, trim and although it looked the dogs swingers, would be expensive and I'm not sure I trust myself not to drop it. My current idea is to strip it all right back to the frame, go with Matt/Satin black and some Neon/Lime green highlights. Very small bits though, just things like the wheels, maybe a strip along the sides of the tank.

Can anyone suggest any ideas or give me their thoughts please? Winter is heavily upon us down south so the garage whilst I do the work seems the smart place for the bike to stay. MY main concern is that I will be sacrificing the handling which I have come to love, and that I will be turning the bike back into the GS-R which I didn't enjoy. That being said, I Imagine the fairings only really come into play on fast road/motorway which I rarely do.

Thanks in advance,

Q

1616356669_Thundercat201.jpg.7802c2ee74957dc62fd600de12a35747.jpg

id leave it as it is , just give it a re-furb , it looks a nice bike.

Thank you, I'm starting to feel the same way. When I joined I was fully ready to start stripping and cutting but now I'm thinking of just fixing it up enjoying it as it is

Some bikes make much better Street Fighters than others . Depends on what degree of ugliness lurks behind the plastics . You can spend a lot of time and money and still end up with something that looks like a crashed bike with a pair of Renthals bunged on the top . Having said that , I've seen worse ....

Polish_20191205_170239504.thumb.jpg.5df796efa026712a9c25ed2ce921259d.jpg

you cant beat the bandit for street fighting it has a brilliant looking motor

Absolutely, the Bandit or the Oil cooled GSXR,s which have the same motor, are the perfect Street Fighter material and have always been at the core of the genre . Of course nowadays, the Naked Bike has effectively become a readymade Street Fighter . Manufacturers will always keep an eye on what custom builders are doing and try to provide a watered down version .

Can anyone suggest any ideas or give me their thoughts please?

Sell it and get a Fazer? :scratch: Proper handlebars, nice big comfy seat, no expense on new parts, no time in fitting the parts, easily insurable..

Thank you so much everyone for your valued opinions! (I don't think I've ever said that without being sarcastic before).

Some bikes make much better Street Fighters than others . Depends on what degree of ugliness lurks behind the plastics . You can spend a lot of time and money and still end up with something that looks like a crashed bike with a pair of Renthals bunged on the top . Having said that , I've seen worse ....

Bob, this is what my main worry is. I don't want to make it look tacky, but that one in your picture is lovely!

I've been out to the garage tonight and sat mulling over it and have decided that you guys are right. [mention]Six30[/mention] You're right, a re-furb is deffinately in order and a little bit of modernising. This is how it looks currently, but aside from the new plastics I will be ordering I think it needs a more modern rear light, decent scrub and alot of rust removal and painting, I think some less chunky mirrors as well?

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/download/file.php?mode=view&id=29441

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/download/file.php?mode=view&id=29442

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/download/file.php?mode=view&id=29443

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/download/file.php?mode=view&id=29444

20191205_203549.thumb.jpg.f45ca8b0a5b60cadc71d58474c63314b.jpg

20191205_203704.thumb.jpg.6584b1b06a4ac68582b291602c180a3b.jpg

20191205_203747.thumb.jpg.bda43c64fd2431b47c4342a8d5e337b3.jpg

20191205_204000.thumb.jpg.a2cb22ef7502eec39f124043b6e12bba.jpg

I would get divorced first, her crime cannot be accepted. Than new bike definitely. :booty:

Tell me about it :lol: :lol: 8-) Karma is a great thing though, the next day she reversed into the lampost outside our house. Made my week

I think it might be wise to disable reverse gear selector on that car.

:lol: :lol: haha definitely a wise move!

Last night I purchased some LED indicators and have been looking at a 600RR tail light. I don't like the way the YZF's tail light sticks out like a dogs lipstick. the 600RR conversion looks fairly simple with a tail tuck and modernises the back I think.