Lexmoto Aspire 50, can't get into fourth?

scrappydoo

I'm new here so sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I just turned 16 and purchased a Lexmoto Aspire 50, a cheap geared 50cc bike. Everything works fine apart from when I'm riding I can't get into fourth. Everywhere I've looked it has mentioned that it has a 4-speed gear box but it simply won't go into fourth. I'm assuming that people wouldn't count neutral as gear... Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Hello and Welcome :D

I know nothing about your actual bike

how are the gears operated? left foot? or handlebar twist grip?

Gears and positions are often engraved on some metal nearby.

If it's foot operated I'd have thought 1 down the rest up.

No! neutral doesn't count as a gear

Ok well it does have 4 gears . So to be absolutely clear , you push the lever down for 1st , up again for 2nd , up again for 3rd and that's it . Nothing happens when you pull up on the lever a 3rd time . Is that what's happening ? I only ask because when you are a new rider it can be very difficult to focus on several things at once . Anyway if it won't go into 4th gear then it needs looking at by an experienced mechanic or you could buy the Haynes Chinese Bikes Manual and dive in . My guess is a bent or worn selector fork or a notch in the selector drum . Might be be the external shift mechanism so check this out first . I'll try to find some pictures that might illustrate what I mean .

Wow ! I'm astonished at how cheap these parts are ! Ok assuming you're prepared to have a go here's a complete gearbox and the drum and forks . CMPO is Chinese Motorcycle Parts Online .

Polish_20191226_194621908.thumb.jpg.001351ee14e9cbc468e093631384cc9f.jpg

There is a gear indicator?

Does it show 1st (one down) through Neutral (green light) to 2nd (one up), then 3rd but nothing happens when you try to select (one more up) into 4th?

No noise when you try (or does the lever not move any higher)?

Worn selector is the most common cause but, you should here a noise. Try manually pulling through the gears with the back wheel lifted (engine off!) and spinning the back wheel by hand.

let us know what you have found/noticed.

:scratch:

Hi and welcome.

Have you checked the gear linkage is adjusted correctly?

When you go up to where 4th should be does the gear shifter move or will it not go up anymore? I had a similar problem with a lexmoto I had and the gear linkage had come loose.

Dave

Thanks for the replies everyone. :D

To confirm, I operate the gears with my left foot where first is one click down, neutral a click up, next click 2nd and next click 3rd. However, when I try to move up into fourth the gear indicator gives my a line, as if it's in neutral and it doesnt move into fourth.

From what you guys have said I'd have to have someone experienced look at it seen as I'm pretty novice. I'm just worried as seen as it's new I might be overdoing it RPM wise when I'm stuck in 3rd.

Thanks again, good to know there are helpful people here! :cheers:

• 1 year later...

Hi, just got a lexmoto arspire second hand and the bike will not go into neutral when I’m I have to turn the bike off then put it back into neutral idk if this is a problem or is there a certain way I put it into neutral.

7 hours ago, Darren said:

Hi, just got a lexmoto arspire second hand and the bike will not go into neutral when I’m I have to turn the bike off then put it back into neutral idk if this is a problem or is there a certain way I put it into neutral.

First thing is to check the clutch adjustment.

• Like 1

Basically , your engine is a Chinese copy of a copy ...etc of a Honda C50 / C90 Cub . So I thought you might find this interesting , I certainly did . 

• Like 1