YBR 125 running issues

Shazzdoodle

Hi all,

Relatively new rider, in this country anyway. Did the CBT and picked myself up a YBR125, a reliable little beast that has done me proud for the past five months...

Until last Friday when i decided I’d take her on a 20 odd mile run...

Since getting her I’ve changed the oil, but haven’t needed to do a great deal else save stock up on winter gear for when i do need to take her out! All went well, we reached our destination where i dismounted took some pics for a bit then fired her up and off we went again....but we didn’t, we shuddered to a standstill. Fiddled around with the spark plug, checked the fuel etc but all i could manage to do was run down the battery trying the electric starter, and she has no kickstart (2012 model). I locked her up, notified the park ranger (seriously) and caught a bus home. New spark plug in the morning i went to fix the issue. Thankfully all was well (bike was there untouched) so i changed the plug and attempted an electric start. It was clear I’d drained the battery, so i attempted a bump start - as luck had it there was a wee hill i could use, and wham, got her started and made my way home. Since then i can’t get her started at all. I’ve charged the battery, it’s got a new plug. Now she got me home which makes me think it’s more of a starter issue than a fuel pump one...i just need a little advice before I’m go buy a replacement!

Any advice or experience in these matters will be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully! Shazz

Check the battery again. Sometimes a weak battery will die when it is run totally flat so it may not be holding much charge. Have you got a mutlimeter? They are very cheap and absolutely essential bit of kit to have. Connect it across the battery set to read volts DC. It ought to read above 12.5v at rest, any lower and it's not holding charge.

Turn the lights on and press the brakes and see what the voltage does. It ought to drop only very slightly. If it collapses as soon as any load is put on it then the battery has had it. Note that a battery can show 12v at rest but collapse as soon as the slightest load is put on it so don't assume that a battery showing 12v is holding charge.

You haven't said what it is doing when you try to start it - is the engine cranking over?

Hiya folks and thanks for the replies.

Further info...

Fuel pump - i do heat that whirring when i turn ignition to on.

Engine cranking - I’m not getting to that point, but as i mentioned i did bump start her to get home 20 odd miles.

I forgot to say that i ordered a battery charger and charged the battery, but until i check the circuit integrity I’m unable to check that off being the issue. Off to buy a multimeter now.

System warning lights - now these as far as i can tell are hard to read, i have always had an orange light in the centre of the display which seems to come on when i turn the ignition on. As for flashes and such, I’m not entirely sure.

After checking battery i think it’ll be much clearer, fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

Hopefully you'll find that although it might measure at greater than +12v and seem to accept charge it will drop south of 10.8 as soon as you introduce a load. You might have found that for a while the bike started fine when cold but became more of a problem once it was warm. This would be another indicator of battery. Good luck 🤞

I had the same issue with my fazer, bump started fine, rode it for like 30 miles on NSL roads, parked the bike, and then I wouldn't start anymore after a couple of hours, but it would start straight away again.

I did the multimeter test and it showed ~12v with no load and the second I pushed the starter button the voltage dropped to 2-3v.

Bought a new battery and it was fine since, starts first time every time.

Hiya folks and thanks for the replies.

Further info...

Fuel pump - i do heat that whirring when i turn ignition to on.

Engine cranking - I’m not getting to that point, but as i mentioned i did bump start her to get home 20 odd miles.

I forgot to say that i ordered a battery charger and charged the battery, but until i check the circuit integrity I’m unable to check that off being the issue. Off to buy a multimeter now.

System warning lights - now these as far as i can tell are hard to read, i have always had an orange light in the centre of the display which seems to come on when i turn the ignition on. As for flashes and such, I’m not entirely sure.

After checking battery i think it’ll be much clearer, fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

Any joy getting you bike sorted mate?

The light does not look like this does it?

enginelight.png?w=250&ssl=1

Engine management light, that should come on when you turn ignition and go out once running.

It might not be as drastic as it sounds but should be checked out.

That light is the one! Comes on when key switched to on, then goes out when running...well it used to when it ran!

Been awful weather of course! Hopefully get this fixed over the weekend. Thanks for all the help guys :)