Motorcycle electric issues

Myyamaha2020

Hello to all, so here's my story. I am having electric issues with my Yamaha TW200. For the last 6 months, while riding along my electrics would die, I found that giving the Soleniod a slap, they would work again work again as in my light indicators horn ect would die then they would be ok on and off, I changed the solenoid problem fixed. 4 Saturdays ago a car where I live did a you turn without indicating and well the car won, I wasn't happy broken forks headlamp ect lots of work and many checks. The bike is now rebuilt, parts replaced. However my new issue, is key in switch on indicators, fine horn fine but if I press the starter button no start, but the break lamp dims half as bright, until I let go. I can bypass, the starter with a screw driver across the terminals on the solenoid the starter motor turns perfectly and the bike fires up. I've checked, all connections plugs relays PAT tested all relays brand new battery ect and the two main Earth wires. All good. So what the hell is stopping the start button from well, not starting normally. Any advice welcome.

In general if the lights dim when you press the starter button then it's drawing current. That's clearly not getting to the starter though - because if that works when you bridge the solenoid it should be ok. So I'd look at the solenoid itself first.

Also check side stand switch and any other start inhibits as the wiring may have been damaged.

Also worth putting a live battery feed onto the solenoid and check that works.

That's clearly not getting to the starter though
Current must go the earth through something. Is it possible that its going through the solenoid direct to ground? If the solenoid was iffy before and shorting it out starts the motor then we must be looking at a bad solenoid. One last check is to take a lead from the solenoid's ignition connection (the one you didn't short out yet) direct to the battery.