BMW F700GS headlight bulb blows?

Bucephalas

I picked up my 2017 BMW F700GS on Saturday and rode it home. I started the bike to move it to my garage and noticed the main beam bulb had blown.

i purchased a new one the next day and the light was fine but once I stopped the bike and restarted some 30 mins later, the bulb had blown again and is now black.

The bikes battery was flat when I tried to start it in the showroom and they charged it and drop tested it and said it was fine (don't know if that can be related in any way).

Where should I begin looking for the cause of this issue?

The bike is under warranty but thought I would try and find the issue and save another day of my time wasted.

Thanks

Richie

As above - I have had it happen twice, once on a Honda VFR & then again on Aprilia Pegaso. Both occasions it boiled the batteries and wrecked them.

The Honda was pushing out over 20 volts into the battery and caused the case to blister 😱

I,ve put a meter on the battery and it's showing 12.3V with no ignition on. It's been sat for 3 hours since last run.

Once started, it idles at 14.41v which rises to 14.5v with revs at 2000rpm.

I guess I'll try another bulb then.

I,ve put a meter on the battery and it's showing 12.3V with no ignition on. It's been sat for 3 hours since last run.

Once started, it idles at 14.41v which rises to 14.5v with revs at 2000rpm.

I guess I'll try another bulb then.

That sounds ok, but check that the voltage doesn't keep going up at higher rpm. Hopefully just a dud bulb.

No rhyme or reason?

Blew another Ring bulb. Local car accessory shop sold me an Osram H7 for a tenner because it has a 4 year warranty and told me if it blows, they will replace it!

Bargain.

Put that in this morning and have stopped/started bike 6/7 times and been riding all day without an issue.

It's a mystery to me.

If it's not excessive voltage or a loose connection causing a voltage spike, just be sure that the rubber mounts are not to tight on the head light unit, if there over tightened there's the possibility of vibration from the engine be transmitted through to the lamp.