Honda cbr125r reccomended valve clearance mileage etc

Jbradford517

Hi, please can people help. Iv got a 2017 plate cbr125r which I purchased last march or may last year 2019 (will have to double check to confirm) it had just over 1000miles, i have now done just over 7100 miles on the clocks which consists of numerous long distance and one which was 660 miles hull to scotland. I do regular oil changes / oil flushes but I'm wondering when it is reccomended for these to have there valve clearances done/ checked if anyone knows please? Thanks

I own the haynes manual etc but believe this isnt mentioned. I'm also going to get this done professionally as I just dont have the time but honda dont help much with actually giving me an answer.

Thanks in advance.

20191014_143017.thumb.jpg.cbae7b89e94ea67f763ff6b1956ab51e.jpg

Taken from the top of the link i posted :thumb:

If you still have excessive noise from the top of the engine after adjusting the valves in the sections below,

your CAM Chain is probably in need of adjustment or repair.

Do not ignore it, the CAM Chain can easily damage your engine if ignored (see a mechanic if you're not sure about what to do).

New valves need to be checked regularly until they bed in (run in),

when you check the valves and find they do not need adjustment,

you do not need to check them so often in the future.

To begin with I would check them more often than the manufacturer states (see owner's manual).

At least check them when the valves have done around 1500 miles.

It's not recommended to ignore checking the valve clearance but if you do,

listen (helmet off) to the valves at the top of the engine when it's running.

If they are excessively noisy (clatter, clatter) the clearance is too big and needs adjustment.

If one of the valves goes quiet its clearance is too small and must be adjusted immediately to prevent damage.

Performance drop, bad idling, problems starting or compression drop could mean the valve clearance is too big or small,

check immediately to prevent damage.

Valve clearances normally increase due to mechanical wear, but can sometimes decrease.

If the valve clearance is too big the only damage you are likely to have done is increased the wear rate of the valve.

Valves wear out (normally takes a very long time and high mileage) and can be replaced,

when the gap is to large they wear out far quicker

Hi [mention]Jbradford517[/mention] , this is taken from the Haynes manual, valve clearance every 2500 miles, and clearance as [mention]dynax[/mention] posted.

But it is in the manual.IMG_20200304_092411293.thumb.jpg.464b6b480b74b6337c151f0e025439b7.jpg.

IMG_20200304_092430126.thumb.jpg.d431e6215b38d70fd2571aab5879252c.jpg.

Good morning all, thankyou for replying, it was more when they're due as Honda just claim they don't need them checking for a while then go on about how good the engines are... I haven't been able to find anywhere that stated that in the manual I must just be blind 😂 to the people adding pictures for some reason it says I dont have permission to view any of them.

would every 5000 miles be a good ball park to do them then?

Thanks again for your help everyone.

TBH i would check them now and listen to how they sound and that will give you something to go by and help you if something doesn't sound right a few hundred miles later :thumb:

The engine does seem mechanically fine however it is a little tappy but nothing concerning just the normal, think I might get them done before the mot, don't know if i fancy doing it myself hmmm

Again thanks for the help guys

The engine does seem mechanically fine however it is a little tappy but nothing concerning just the normal, think I might get them done before the mot, don't know if i fancy doing it myself hmmm

Again thanks for the help guys

It is not noisy tappets that you should be concerned about . Quiet tappets indicate worn valve seats and can result in decreased performance and engine damage . Remember folks , a flappy tappet is a happy tappet !