3D Printing parts for bikes - what have you printed?

dern

I've blatantly pinched this idea from the advrider forum I'm on but have recently got a 3d printer and am planning to make the odd bit for the bikes. Show what you've made or ask questions if you're interested. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks but will do my best.

I bought a Creality Ender 3 pro from Ebay for £194. You can buy them from China if you're prepared to wait but this one took a couple of days to arrive. It took a few hours to build and set up but that's mainly because I'd done so much reading on them I knew I wanted to replace the firmware and so on. Essentially it's a stock machine with a glass bed being controlled by a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint and Klipper.

Anyway, to start with I wanted a simple project rather than just download yoda models. I decided to make frame plugs for my KTM 1190 Adventure. The more cynical will rightly point out that I've spent 200 to make an inferior version of a thing I can buy for a tenth of that which is true but if you like making stuff this is fun.

I designed it in Blender to start with...

blender.thumb.jpg.a1a050ed978573392dc96c1e0675d700.jpg

This is version 2. The first one had a solid cylinder as the plug and it fitted well but slightly loose. I then cut that cylinder and added bumps to the outside near the end with the idea that the bits would spring in a bit and hold themselves.

I sliced the piece using Cura and then printed at 100mm/s to produce this...

part.thumb.jpg.736ce29617bcd3daf56214c1d2e81a9a.jpg

And this is it fitted to the bike...

fitted.thumb.jpg.d747edeb9f74bb28ea2a18d720d5895e.jpg

It fits really well so I printed another for the other side.

It's a steep learning curve but there's so much information online if you spend time finding it. This part is printed in PLA but will make some from PTEG at some point so see what that's like as it's supposed to be more robust. The next project will be some ram mount type mirrors as they're so expensive to buy it's not even funny... and it's fun to make stuff.

Cheers,

Mark

This is some serious NASA s*#t

Ha, I know, it's properly nuts. Not that expensive but does require a lot of mucking about with computers. It's about as close to a proper CNC machine as I'll get I guess... which isn't very close.

Loads of the models you can download have letters/numbers on them and they frequently look pretty gash so I'm keeping my stuff plain.

This is the printer doing its stuff...

Looks good! What's the material?

I fancy a printer but just don't have the time. I draw stuff up and bung it off to 3D Hubs. They're so cheap it's ridiculous.

Looks good! What's the material?

I fancy a printer but just don't have the time. I draw stuff up and bung it off to 3D Hubs. They're so cheap it's ridiculous.

That's just PLA I'm playing with at the moment. I've got some PETG that I'll start to play with soon to make other bike bits from.

To be honest, I got this to stop myself from going completely spare. I wanted to spend the winter restoring the zxr but ripped a tendon in my shoulder before Christmas and can do sod all requiring any strength. Trying to get the shoulder all sorted for the first track day.