Changing the Stator on my zzr600 and oil

James in Brum

I plan to change the Stator on my Zzr600 tomorrow with the mini mechanics. Does anyone know do I need to drain the oil? It does not seem to say so in the Haynes’ manual but it doesn’t say much really and YouTube clips of other bikes have the oil being replaced.

Thank you :-)

is it on the left or right?

It’s on the left hand side.

if you use the centre stand you will lose a bit of oil probably about 2 litres or so

I have done a bike before where I lent it against a wall resting on something soft so not to have to drain it

Think I will buy the kits to service my tokico brakes soon :-)

Crap calipers! they need to be kept on top of to keep them tip top

Keep on top of them and they can be great :thumb:

After epic effort, for someone with the practical skills of a sea anemone, I removed the stator cover, the stator and then got to realise that the wires from the stair are a part of the loom.

Then the fact that I have children and an unwell wife got in the way of progressing.

Do I need to trace the cables, find where they unplug and replace or is there another option? This seems to be turning into a bigger job than I thought.

After epic effort, for someone with the practical skills of a sea anemone, I removed the stator cover, the stator and then got to realise that the wires from the stair are a part of the loom.

Then the fact that I have children and an unwell wife got in the way of progressing.

Do I need to trace the cables, find where they unplug and replace or is there another option? This seems to be turning into a bigger job than I thought.

Should run direct to the reg/rec

Cable will connect above gear lever on inside of frame . Very common for this connecter to melt and burn out resulting in no charge ....

Oh , so a new connection and you're good to go . No need for a new Stator . 😉

Cable will connect above gear lever on inside of frame . Very common for this connecter to melt and burn out resulting in no charge ....

Oh , so a new connection and you're good to go . No need for a new Stator . 😉

Had to replace them on all my zzr's

1 600 and 2 1100's

For reference ( not my bike )

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/65377/94-kawasaki-zzr600-electrical-issues

Where was you the other week when we was diagnosing this fault :x

I never knew about that connector and if it has burnt out and melted as you say his stator might be fine and just need a connector sorting :?

You're looking for similar to

he has the stator so will know what the plug looks like now but I wasn't aware it had another one apart from the one that goes in to the reg/rec