LED headlight unit legality

grunthorpe

Good evening all,

My CBR900RR cafe racer/streetfighter project is in full swing after some storm related damage!

I have been looking at headlights, but for the life of me cannot find any definitive guidance on whether a certain headlight would pass MOT. I have googled it to death and checked the MOT guidance to no avail.

What I need to know is this: If I fit this headlight to my motorcycle, which I think looks really cool, will it pass the MOT? I understand the yellow colour is acceptable, but I cannot find a way to figure out if the beam pattern would be.

Are there any wise folk among you that have come across something like this before?

Cheers,

Nick

I had a convo with an mot tester a while back - the newest guidelines on lighting are open to interpretation. Generally the concensus seems to be that aftermarket led units are mostly ok if installed correctly.

Aftermarket Hid units are usually an automatic fail.

Still not definitive, but might help you a little.

How long would it take to do a quick swap over for the MOT if it didn't pass? 😉

Unfortunately a while because I've disassembled the whole front end of an originally faired bike to do it haha

I had a convo with an mot tester a while back - the newest guidelines on lighting are open to interpretation. Generally the concensus seems to be that aftermarket led units are mostly ok if installed correctly.

Aftermarket Hid units are usually an automatic fail.

Still not definitive, but might help you a little.

Thanks, I think I'll just try it and if not then just deal with the £50 loss!