Cagiva raptor 125 no top end

doberrex

Hello, I have just bought a cagiva raptor 125 2004, when I first got it, it felt like it had no power at all, would top out at around 30 and take a while to get there, has been in a garage in which is had new reeds as they were all shit up, spark plug, etc.. however when I got it back from the garage it was still the exact same. Since then I have bought a brand new carb for it which was made up by dellorto which all the correct parts in it, and the standard airbox, as it had a shitty £30 carb on it and aftermarket airbox. It now will do about 50ish in 4th gear but can't go any higher, sounds more lively, but doesn't go up the revs very fast and pretty much has no top end, I have ordered a new cdi unit for it as the old one was very bodged, don't really have a lot of knowledge about bikes so was wondering what else I could try, Thanks.

Does this bike have a power valve ? Something similar to the RAVE valve on an Aprilia which is prone to sticking . If it does and If it's electrically operated , stick 12volts through it to see what happens.

Bike has only done 7k miles and been stored for past 10~ years, probably should have mentioned that, my bad, will get a compression test done asap. The bike does have a powervalve which opens and closes when you turn the key, (to with with keeping it clean I think) and I'm 90% sure its working as you can hear it, was planning on taking exhaust off on weekend to see if its blocked (worth a try) and will check as you can see the pv where the exhaust comes off.

Found this from a google search :thumb:

As a rough guideline:

80 psi - blown up or completely worn out

100 psi - extremely low

120 psi - time to swap rings

150 psi - rings in good condition for stock engine

180 psi - rings in good condition for tuned (highcompression) engine (may need 98RON fuel)

200 psi - rings in good condition for highly tuned (veryhigh compression) engine ( definitely needs 98RON fuel)

engine was cold, so it could be about 10-15 lower than it actually is, battery fully charged, just been taken off charge, and throttle fully open, pressing the button until the compression stopped going up.

Try it again with the engine warmed see what it goes up to. Then try it with some oil down the cylinder. If the compression goes up a lot with oil in the cylinder the rings, piston, cylinder are likely worn.

• 2 weeks later...

Fit new piston and cylinder kit, will be finishing putting it back together on saturday or sunday as I'm still waiting for some more bits to come, will update on the weekend if anyones interested.

An update: got it all back together, got the bike started and running for about 5-10 minutes, left it to cool down and now not starting again, put battery on charge so will see what it's like tomorrow morning.