Leaking fuel/petrol smell - more liquid in engine/oil bit

James in Brum

Hi gang

Since I tried adjusting the chain the other day and had the chain too tight at one point there has been a petrol smell in the garage.

The bike has been parked up for a week which is unusual.

The bike would not start or seemingly even try on the day I tried to adjust the chain and broke the adjuster.

Then it did and all seemed fine.

One week later I have the bits, I have replaced the adjuster bolt for the wheel/chain.

There was definite fuel smelling liquid on the floor of the garage and again on the drive at the end of the day (I left her outside for the day).

I also notice the sight glass looks like it is totally full of oil which it was not before.

Q: could I have broken something with the chain op tight?

Q: could it cause fuel to leak?

Q: might something I have done have cause fuel to leak into the oil so there is more of it?

I could be being anxious over nothing and the oil is out of a breather where it was hot and evaporating/expanded and with the bike having been sat so long all the oil has drained to the bottom?

Any thoughts lovely people? I feel like I break more than I mend at the moment.

Snapping the chain adjuster bolt wouldn't have anything to do it a fuel problem. Is the oil level high? Does the oil stink of petrol? You could take the spark plugs out and see if one is soaked in petrol. Petrol in the oil on a carb bike is usually from a float valve being stuck open in the carb.

Thanks [mention]WD-40[/mention] for responding.

I get the non relationship of chain adjuster bolt, I was thinking about the chain having been very tight at one point and I think it was you said that that can cause damage?

I’ll check the oil smell tomorrow, and look at the spark plugs. I don’t know whether to be nervous about starting the bike tomorrow. I have cleaned off the left hand side and removed the fairing. The little puddle was directly underneath the generator cover and there was some sort of residue there. I have cleaned it and taken fairing off so I can look and see if there is any leaking overnight. I though I would ask the questions now so I know what to look for In the morning.

Guest Richzx6r

Over tightening the chain wouldnt cause a fuel leak, you may have a slightly sticking float in a carb or something or it's overfuelling massively which tbf you would notice that what riding as it would constantly stink of fuel first thing I'd try is if it has one turn the tap to the off position and run the bike till it stops then put it in the on position and restart it that should clear the carbs of fuel and reset everything, next thing I'd do is an oil change just as due course and before disposing of the old oil give it a good sniff to see if its diluted with fuel or any other contaminants if that is good check/clean all hoses that are easy to get at

Hope this helps

Hi [mention]Richzx6r[/mention] it does help thanks. No fuel tap I think but I am sure I can simulate what you describe. Best thing is it seems less likely I have broken it :-)

Something may be broken but probably I did not do it. That matters :-)

Thank you

Guest Richzx6r

Hi @Richzx6r it does help thanks. No fuel tap I think but I am sure I can simulate what you describe. Best thing is it seems less likely I have broken it :-)

Something may be broken but probably I did not do it. That matters :-)

Thank you

Its probably where something has perished of the life of the bike

The over tightened chain would only really be a problem if you rode it with it very tight. If you didn't ride it it shouldn't be a problem and it would have nothing to do with a fuel problem. The main thing is check the oil level, see if it's high. You could check any leaks or the puddle that was left on the ground by feeling it with your fingers. If it's oil it'll feel slippery and stay on your fingers, if it's petrol it'll evaporate.

Guest Richzx6r

Have dropped out the sump plug. Loads of fuely oil. Now it looks like my fuel tank is emptying itself through the engine.

Well it sounds like you have a sticking float or two so I'd say a carb rebuild is on the cards, hopefully you don't have to go any deeper than that

I had the same thing with my turbo bike. One the floats got stuck and a few litres of fuel ended up in the sump.

I only noticed because it didn't want to turn over as one of the cylinders was full of fuel. :shock:

Whip the plugs out and spin the engine over to get rid of any fuel that might be in there and definitely have a look at the carbs!

Guest Richzx6r

They aren't difficult to rebuild the most difficult parts of the process are probably getting them off the bike and if you don't have a sonic cleaner getting the gummy shite out of the insides can be a twat of a job but stripping them to bits and rebuilding is easy.

Yes I'd get gaskets and maybe replacement jets as due course

If I was you I'd take the carbs out, inspect the tip of the float needle and seat for wear. If they look ok given them a clean. You can clean the rest of the carb while you have it off. Put the carbs back together and test them on the bench by hooking up a fuel supply and see if they're still leaking. If the needle and seat is working the carb will fill up and there won't be any leaks. If they're still leaking buy new float needles.

So far I have done the bits that are easy now it’s not raining.

I need to read the manual to find out what to do next. And come back here to read the excellent directions I will get from you.

Also to ask what exactly to buy because I didn’t find an easy answer on Wemoto :-)

AB8A2FBA-E927-420D-A94E-CD245CBD4702.thumb.jpeg.4ecf74609ae75125f74df5fff76c6710.jpeg0618425D-3D84-4060-8449-37DB8A405CF7.thumb.jpeg.499182f94b198b2bf64266d446080c32.jpegB2767CA9-D517-437F-9579-F7423C632469.thumb.jpeg.d20323b0aad1fb74416e2a86f923aa39.jpeg8453646A-BFE5-4BAB-9FAF-798008B77F1E.thumb.jpeg.ae9e9201bb0f25576571a9cd73e955b9.jpegA34CEC24-2877-4CB8-BD2D-F6EECC01F36C.thumb.jpeg.cca4d37d1aa531d706d08354dc29f87f.jpeg3678F0A9-279B-461A-9217-5BB9089AA274.thumb.jpeg.da75a41dad9ff34a1aa2dab0a6b8f4f2.jpeg

Guest Richzx6r

So far I have done the bits that are easy now it’s not raining.

I need to read the manual to find out what to do next. And come back here to read the excellent directions I will get from you.

Also to ask what exactly to buy because I didn’t find an easy answer on Wemoto :-)

AB8A2FBA-E927-420D-A94E-CD245CBD4702.jpeg0618425D-3D84-4060-8449-37DB8A405CF7.jpegB2767CA9-D517-437F-9579-F7423C632469.jpeg8453646A-BFE5-4BAB-9FAF-798008B77F1E.jpegA34CEC24-2877-4CB8-BD2D-F6EECC01F36C.jpeg3678F0A9-279B-461A-9217-5BB9089AA274.jpeg

What year is the zzr?

So now I'd take off the air box so you can remove the carb bank once you have done that drain the bowls in to something fuel resistant and check the drained fuel for little specks of muck then whip off all bowls remembering which bowl came off which carb and clean out the bowls then you have access to the interesting bits, with a flathead screwdriver remove all the jets one by one and give them all a careful blow through incase theres any crud in them and replace them in the holes before removing another jet so as not to get confused about which one goes where.

Next on to float and needle valve, when you lift up the float you will see a little valve than goes in a hole at the base of the float (usually they are connected to the float so as to regulate the fuel level) and if you take the float and needle valve off the carb there will be a small gauze filter which often clogs up with muck so will need cleaning

:thumb:

Looks like you have your budding bike mechanic helping out too

You might not need to buy anything at all . In my experience a leaking float valve can be caused by the smallest fragment of debris . That said , for this to have happened , your fuel tap needs to have failed as well . If you are going to refurbish the carbs you will need four service kits and possibly a fuel tap kit as well . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223338827366 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360910245520. I haven't checked the years but you get the general idea.

Edited by fastbob

Guest Richzx6r

You might not need to buy anything at all . In my experience a leaking float valve can be caused by the smallest fragment of debris . That said , for this to have happened , your fuel tap needs to have failed as well . If you are going to refurbish the carbs you will need four service kits and possibly a fuel tap kit as well .

What he said

Thank you.

If my fuel tap is the bit that connects the black hose to the middle of the carb bank (I think that is that) then yes definitely broken. It was dripping slightly when I changed the air filter and I did nothing.

There are two hoses out of my fuel tank one is blue and goes to a to a T junction in the same sort of hosing and then to Carbs 1 and 4. The black hose I cannot follow properly but seems to go to Carbs 2 and 4.

Plan for tomorrow is to get the carbs off as Rich Describes and clean.

I figure being as the bike is off the road I will take the front brake callipers off as well and service them.

Anything else worth doing being that I am getting this stuck in, along with my budding bike mechanic?

Guest Richzx6r

Thank you.

If my fuel tap is the bit that connects the black hose to the middle of the carb bank (I think that is that) then yes definitely broken. It was dripping slightly when I changed the air filter and I did nothing.

There are two hoses out of my fuel tank one is blue and goes to a to a T junction in the same sort of hosing and then to Carbs 1 and 4. The black hose I cannot follow properly but seems to go to Carbs 2 and 4.

Plan for tomorrow is to get the carbs off as Rich Describes and clean.

I figure being as the bike is off the road I will take the front brake callipers off as well and service them.

Anything else worth doing being that I am getting this stuck in, along with my budding bike mechanic?

How about a full nut and bolt restoration :thumb:

Can't really think of anything in particular that you should do, only advice I'd give is to just have a ganders over the rest of the bike and decide then if anything else warrants some attention or if it will do in the near future

Thanks.

I’ve bought the service kits, I figure I might as well. I have bought the fuel tap service kit, and front and rear brake callipers repair/service kits excluding the pistons and also some spark plugs.

I figure the plugs can sit on my shelf (ones I take out) to replace duff ones in future. I think I’ll be busy!

What is carb balancing? Is that a thing I need to think about? Or just clean and replace worn bits?

Guest Richzx6r

Thanks.

I’ve bought the service kits, I figure I might as well. I have bought the fuel tap service kit, and front and rear brake callipers repair/service kits excluding the pistons and also some spark plugs.

I figure the plugs can sit on my shelf (ones I take out) to replace duff ones in future. I think I’ll be busy!

What is carb balancing? Is that a thing I need to think about? Or just clean and replace worn bits?

Carb balancing is where you get all 4 carbs metering the same amount of fuel mixture as a given rpm and it makes a big difference