Loose Nuts

Breadsnapper

A while ago I got a swingarm for my 98 CBR 600. Anyway the plan was to media blast it and powder coat it.

However, the collars/captive nuts that sit inside for the rubber chain guard to be secured to are inside the swingarm loose. Unfortunately they are larger than the holes and I cannot get them out.

I know it's possible but would it be safe to have a hole drilled into the swingarm to allow for the removal of the nuts and then have it welded up.

I could always get another swingarm but I could also end up with the same problem as invariably the screws are rusted badly due to their position.

Cheers

Dave

I would get a larger screw, get a set of thread cutting tools like this one, there are smaller cheaper ones and get the screw to the size you need. I would leave the swingarm alone if possible.

Some thread lock paste will prevent the build up of rust on the thread

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000K2TC7K?tag=duc08-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Guest Richzx6r

Cheers for the replies still need to.find a way to get out the old bits that are rattling around.

Can you not take out the chain adjusters and fish the bits out?

I know it's a faf about but it may work

Cheers for the replies still need to.find a way to get out the old bits that are rattling around.

Can you not take out the chain adjusters and fish the bits out?

I know it's a faf about but it may work

The retaining nut/sleeve has a collar on it and the rusty part of the screw is stuck in it. The hole simply isn't big enough. The box section where they're stuck is welded to the swing arm and fully enclosed.