De restricting 50cc Mopeds

HenryG101

So,

I use a 50cc SYM Jet 4 50cc moped, I'm 17 and see no need to get a 125 as I live in the city. However, I would love to be able to get 5-15 extra mph out of this moped.

I wondered if anyone had any easy Idea for a very novice level mechanic.

Thanks

Dont hate me for using a moped lol

The restriction on a 50cc (and 125's) nowaday IS the engine. It's not like in the 2 stroke days when you could take something out of the exhaust and get an extra 10hp :crybaby:

That sounds about right for a Chinese 50cc to be fair. I used to have one back in 2001ish. I was behind a tractor and he moved over to side to let me pass and I couldn't do it :oops:

Yeh its not brilliant lots of people say to remove a limiting washer in the transmission and lots of people say buy a race CDI.

Have any of these lots of people actually done either of these suggestions? And if so did it work?

Bear in mind that if you do something like this your insurance will want to know about it. It's usually cheaper and more effective to keep it standard and trade it towards a used Japanese 125. For city riding they're better suited than a 50cc machine.

If your moped has a cdi that is restricted then a derestricted cdi I guess race cdi sounds better on ebay, will allow it to rev higher, as its a modification from standard then you should inform insurance.

If its not restricted your better off spending the money at mc'd its unlikely a stronger spark will make any difference.

That sounds about right for a Chinese 50cc to be fair. I used to have one back in 2001ish. I was behind a tractor and he moved over to side to let me pass and I couldn't do it :oops:

dgiphy.gif.a51508287e4ede17a2b150f4c01a67f1.gif