Is this tyre done?

jedibiker

Hey, I was out with a few guys and couldn't help notice the difference between my tyre and theirs.

Even the same size tyre looked wider than mine. Since I got this bike the tyre has had a square finish and obviously I've not leaned it enough to put it right if it's even possible.

Its PR4 and they seem to look square-ish anyway(not this bad) when I got the tyre I could see he hadn't had it leaning much at all. I don't lean much still but still scrubbed off more tyre.

Can I stick any brand on the back if I keep the pr4 on the front?

thanks

20200623_202002.thumb.jpg.fa72432cf7c0de1e03c8379168d2ec02.jpg

20200623_202035.thumb.jpg.4abd3d622afe86facbc2cf65346d5f58.jpg

Take a photo from a bit further away square on in line with the tyre (pun intended)

PR4s tend to be a little flatter than other makes and usually wear pretty well

I would also stick tot he same tyres

The problem with that tyre is running too long straight roads.

Usually due to motorway riding or slow enough not to need leaning.

It is still legal but it will be uncomfortable to ride because of the edge when you try to lean, is like getting over a step, you will have the trouble to get to the top of the edge (putting the edge on the tarmac) and will feel like it's unbalanced once you lean over that edge.

Rear is squared off so will alter handling characteristics.

Could be due to

Mainly straight line riding is the general reason why .

Incorrect tyre pressure

Worn/ badly adjusted suspension

If it's straight line riding is your normal thing look at getting a decent sports touring tyre if not touring tyre ..

For personal reasons i would keep to same brand/ style F & R but that's my choice .

Edited by TimR

The problem with that tyre is running too long straight roads.

Usually due to motorway riding or slow enough not to need leaning.

It is still legal but it will be uncomfortable to ride because of the edge when you try to lean, is like getting over a step, you will have the trouble to get to the top of the edge (putting the edge on the tarmac) and will feel like it's unbalanced once you lean over that edge.

exactly how it feels when I try and push my leaning skills lol

I have seen worse although I have never seen a PR4 worn like that to be honest!

My first thought here is what pressure are you running?

when i got it the pressure was 32. I ran 36 for a while and have tried 38 for the last 200 miles to see if it was better, and it was a little better. Im 17st 6 so had to also increase preload. Although alot of what I was trying to fix was probably due to the tyre and not the suspension.

Rear is squared off so will alter handling characteristics.

Could be due to

Mainly straight line riding is the general reason why .

Incorrect tyre pressure

Worn/ badly adjusted suspension

If it's straight line riding is your normal thing look at getting a decent sports touring tyre if not touring tyre ..

For personal reasons i would keep to same brand/ style F & R but that's my choice .

I ride rural roads, avoid long roads. I have worn the sides in more but think tyre was to far gone on the top. If I was more of a leaner it may have corrected it but as I said when I do try and get it right over it feels shit

Get out on to some twisties practice counter steering to get more lean into the turns, you can get some serious lean even at slow speeds by counter steering, you should be able to recover that tyre with some progressive leaning :thumb:

That's why I prefer dual compound tyres.

It reduces the middle wear but it doesn't takes it away.

If you don't feel right with it just get a new rear one, nothing says that you will have to replace both. my front tyre always last longer than the rear one

Get out on to some twisties practice counter steering to get more lean into the turns, you can get some serious lean even at slow speeds by counter steering, you should be able to recover that tyre with some progressive leaning :thumb:

guessing you didnt read thread lol. I do get out on twisties. tyres have worn alot more on sides since I got it but it still looks flat on top. I also took it to a local industrial estate a couple of times doing figures of 8 and circles etc at low speed to try get right to edge.. feel im failing. cheers

That's why I prefer dual compound tyres.

It reduces the middle wear but it doesn't takes it away.

If you don't feel right with it just get a new rear one, nothing says that you will have to replace both. my front tyre always last longer than the rear one

These are meant to have 3 compounds but ive no idea how the bike was treated before I got it.

I have seen worse although I have never seen a PR4 worn like that to be honest!

My first thought here is what pressure are you running?

when i got it the pressure was 32. I ran 36 for a while and have tried 38 for the last 200 miles to see if it was better, and it was a little better. Im 17st 6 so had to also increase preload. Although alot of what I was trying to fix was probably due to the tyre and not the suspension.

32 is way too low and could have already started the wear!

36 is what's in the book but you can go as high as 42

Yhad issues with tyres on my Tl1000s and I spoke to michelin about it the book states 36 but at high lean angles I was getting movement! The advice they gave was increase it 2 psi at a time but don't go above 42psi

If I was you I would be looking at the higher side of the pressures

You will never get rid of the square now but you can improve it a little

Guest Richzx6r

My understanding is that the pilot road 4 is a dual compound tyre, how many miles have they done out of interest as my old set of pr4s did 13.5k miles and weren't even that worn.

Also in respect of pressures I generally run 36 front 42 rear but each to they're own

My understanding is that the pilot road 4 is a dual compound tyre, how many miles have they done out of interest as my old set of pr4s did 13.5k miles and weren't even that worn.

Also in respect of pressures I generally run 36 front 42 rear but each to they're own

Jesus! Do you have it on a trailer for those miles :lol:

I'm lucky if I see 8 to 9k!

I also run 42 on the rear but 40 front

I would suggest that that tyre has been run in an over inflated state . Either that or someone has a peculiar riding style . The strips of unused tyre on the outer edge suggest that this bike is being ridden at a fraction of it's full potential .

I would suggest that that tyre has been run in an over inflated state . Either that or someone has a peculiar riding style . The strips of unused tyre on the outer edge suggest that this bike is being ridden at a fraction of it's full potential .

I was thinking under inflated to be honest due to how wide the contact patch is which if it was running 32 would confirm it.

But having nothing to compare it to ie one run over and one under we will never know

32 is way too low and could have already started the wear!

36 is what's in the book but you can go as high as 42

Yhad issues with tyres on my Tl1000s and I spoke to michelin about it the book states 36 but at high lean angles I was getting movement! The advice they gave was increase it 2 psi at a time but don't go above 42psi

If I was you I would be looking at the higher side of the pressures

You will never get rid of the square now but you can improve it a little

Thanks, Il try keep it around 40. But I am looking at tyre prices. Id prefer to only change back and dont like how pr4's look. Kind of look slim all the time even new.

I think it was, and I dont push it to the max as feel unsteady on it.