Float needle height ......HELP

Kwaker750

Restoring a 1987 Kawasaki GT750 P5 that has only 5600 miles on but been standing in dry garage for 25years.

Cleaned the Mikuni BS34 carbs and awaiting new float needles. Haynes manual does not give the recommended float height, it merely states "n/av". Does anyone know what this should be as I want to make sure that the engine runs before I spend more time and money to bring it back to life.

Any other suggestions of problems that I should expect would be much appreciated.....thanks

Does your manual give a fuel level spec? The fuel level is usually given as a certain height above or below the mating surface of the carb bowl and the body of the carb. You check if it's in spec by attaching a piece of clear hose to the drain on the carb bowl, then open the drain screw. If the fuel level is in spec it means the float height is correct.

Very many thanks for your reply... manual does show a float level of 3 plus or minus 1mm so I will try what you suggest. In the You Tube videos that I have seen they all show measuring the float height and bending the small strip on top of the float to fix the height.

Once again thanks for your input.

Any other suggestions as what I might need to look out for in getting it back on the road after standing so long would be much appreciated.

Rubber parts tend to suffer over time so it'll probably need new tyres and maybe new brake hoses. You might find that the fork seals start leaking when you ride the bike for a while. The battery will have to be replaced. You should check the brakes are working properly, maybe give the calipers a clean. Check the condition of the chain. Make sure there's no stiff links. Give it a clean and an oiling. Do an oil change. Clean out the fuel system and replace the fuel. That's all I can think of.

Your float height should be fine as long as no one has adjusted them in the past.