No free play in clutch cable

Cumbria John

During the renovation of my CG125 K1 I noticed that the clutch cable had been installed incorrectly. Which I think was an attempt to give free play at the lever end ( which it did'nt) . I have now fitted it correctly but the situation is still the same. Am I right in thinking that if I cannot achieve any free play, then there is a good possibility that the clutch plates are worn down.

Its the cable that came with the bike and physically seemed OK. I have not had the bike in a position to get it moving yet, and only just got it running after nightmare electrics problems. I suppose you may be correct, judging by all the other botch ups I have found. I think I will do a full check, and measure the plates. I need to take that side off anyway because I found that the neutral switch pickup pate on the selector either isn't there, or is in the wrong position.

I can't understand why you cannot achieve free play . So how did you fit the cable then ? Screw the threaded adjuster towards the clutch actuator until it goes slack . If there's still no slack it must be the wrong cable . Pics appreciated .

Does it have aftermarket levers ?

Had some lovely aliexpress levers fitted on the cbr600 when acquired it that did not fit right and would not allow free play and good clutch operation combined .

It was one or the other ..

Hi Fastbob and timR. Had to use a clamp on the actuating lever to pull the clutch in far enough to slip to cable on. The levers are original Honda. I have dismantled the clutch assy and micro-metered the plates and springs and all seem in new condition. I am waiting for a new clutch cable from Wemoto and hope that fixes it. Nothing surprises me with this bike its fighting me at every step. It was a rusty heap found in a shed and not used for at least 10 years. Up to now it looks like someone has not been too careful in ordering parts for this specific model ( cg125 k1 1979 6v ) I,ve even had David Silver sending me the wrong parts. Having said that I am enjoying sorting it out. I will return to the fray this weekend when I have actioned the the job list from She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Hi Fastbob and timR. Had to use a clamp on the actuating lever to pull the clutch in far enough to slip to cable on. The levers are original Honda. I have dismantled the clutch assy and micro-metered the plates and springs and all seem in new condition. I am waiting for a new clutch cable from Wemoto and hope that fixes it. Nothing surprises me with this bike its fighting me at every step. It was a rusty heap found in a shed and not used for at least 10 years. Up to now it looks like someone has not been too careful in ordering parts for this specific model ( cg125 k1 1979 6v ) I,ve even had David Silver sending me the wrong parts. Having said that I am enjoying sorting it out. I will return to the fray this weekend when I have actioned the the job list from She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Definite wrong cable then ..

Something i think all should have in their shed/toolkit

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-accessories/halfords-motorcycle%2Fcycle-cable-repair-kit-551934.html

May make the difference from a day out to stuck indoors etc

Hi Fastbob. Why - does it matter. I tried both ways. However, things have moved on now - I got my new cable from wimoto and I can see the difference in free play available between inner and outer, BUT they sent the wrong cable - @%$K .There are two versions - The standard has sheath length of 100cm for the high bars as fitted to the 1979 model the alternative is 85cm for low bars. They should really have the longer as default but dont. So I am waiting for a replacement. Good this isnt it ! I am changing my name to Jobe ( or should it be Jonah )

• 2 weeks later...

Just to tidy up the loose ends of this post - The bike was fitted with a clutch cable from God knows what, near enough but not right. When I finally got the correct one, all was OK, so panic over. Just goes to show that when you get an abandoned bike, there is a good possibility it was left because someone has messed about until there was that much amiss it they just left it. As my son said - by the time you finish, the only thing originally on the bike will be the dust caps !!!!