Clutch Issue??

mav3626

Have not used my bike for a good 6 Months. Had an oil leak which I have managed to get round to looking at. Re-assembled my bike today and thought I would take it for some fuel.

Started up okay. As soon as I engaged first gear, the bike stalled.

Side stand was up, and whilst the bike was off the road, it was on its centre stand. I did try to push the bike whilst in gear but with the clutch lever pulled back, and it felt as though the clutch wasn't working. Wasn't able to free wheel the bike?

Whilst bike was off the road, I have changed the plugs, air filter, new oil filter and oil which I changed today?

Any suggestions/help would be very much appreciated.

Bike is a 2002 Suzuki GSX 750 F

Edited by mav3626

Hi [mention]mav3626[/mention] , A lot of bikes have this problem when not used for a while, the clutch plates bind together.

You can normally free them off by putting it in First gear and just rocking back and forth until you feel the plates free off.

Also sometimes if that doesn't work, try starting engine and leaving it ticking over until the oil get's hot and that sometimes makes the clutch plates free off.

So normally no need to strip the clutch. :)

Personally I'd strip the clutch . It's all well and good freeing it up by rocking the bike etc but you don't want a sump full of little segments of friction plate . I've seen what happens to clutches that have dried out . Easier said than done on a GSXR type bike though . You're probably going to need a 50mm socket and an impact wrench .

Guys.

Just an update. Checked side stand switch, cleaned and lubricated and seemed to be okay.Left the bike idling for quite a while, revved the bike a little and selected first gear and it clunked and stalled.

Re started and let it run a while longer, and tried again selecting first gear and it didn't stall. Was able to select all gears.

So took it out for a short ride, using the gears as much as possible and so far so good. Sounds ok, no clunking, whinning.

So thank you all for your help and responses. :cheers: