Not riding my hike bike yet, what best to do?

GiorgioG

Hi all, how are you?

So it happen that I received my motorbike before I had the driving license(mod 2 test next week).

It is chained and covered since about one week ago.

By time to time I remove the cover and I sit on it, I push it back and forward in my small front yard.

Should I turn the engine on by time to time or better not to?

I don't have much space on my front yard to even put it in first gear, but I was wondering if, keeping the engine on few minutes, every couple of days, would be beneficial for the bike,waiting for my first ride, finger cross, at the end of next week.

Thanks for your help.

Giorgio

No point running an engine for a few minutes. If it's laid up for a long period run it monthly but always let it reach full temperature. The main thing is to make the battery keeps a decent charge. Either use a maintenance charger, I use CTEK chargers, or a small solar charger will keep a bike battery charged.

Make sure the tyres are kept at the right pressure. It does no harm to roll the bike occasionally so the same bit of tyre isn't taking the weight.

Not worth starting it up unless it's going to be out on the road for a good run.

I leave mine summer bikes for months at a time and never start them up. If it's going to be left for more than a few weeks, I make sure the battery's on a trickle charger.

If you don't have trickle charger don't worry, unless the bike has an alarm.

Just run the bike up to temperature every 2-3 weeks that should do it.

If the bike has an alarm that will constantly draw on battery and surprisingly quickly you can find yourself with a flat battery.

I am not a believer in trickle chargers, for long term use. Put it on for day or so then switch it off. For all the intelligence some claim I don't think they do any good...

I am not a believer in trickle chargers, for long term use. Put it on for day or so then switch it off. For all the intelligence some claim I don't think they do any good...

I think you're right, though it depends on the charger. I have two CTEK chargers, a 5 amp which has a bike setting and a 0.8 amp which is specifically for bikes.

The 5 amp one has killed a battery when left on all winter. I now have it on a timer so it's on for an hour a day on the Honda which has an alarm.

The 0.8 amp I leave permanently connected to the Bobber and that's been fine. The Triumph batteries aren't the best and quite a few owners have reported battery failure within a year. But they have all been guys who don't use a charger. Those who use a very low amp charger don't seem to have problems.