The clutch on the zx6r

Guest Richzx6r

Guest Richzx6r

So did oil change today (oil filter had a very small pin hole and was leaking very slightly).

I have heard for a while but didn't really take too much notice of it but there is a slight metallic rattling coming from the clutch cover area when the clutch lever is pulled in, now theres no noticable clutch drag or slippage when stationary or riding that I have noticed but just wondering if my thought of it is a slightly loose spring/release bearing would be right or if it could be something else :scratch:

I will post a video tomorrow if needed, though anyones thoughts would be welcomed

Cheers all

Hi mate

I think you will be safe to pop the cover with the bike on the side stand to not waste the oil.

Good opportunity to check all clutch springs etc nice and tight and even measure stack height.

If you are feeling brave maybe even turn over with plugs out and see if noise is obvious.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Hi mate

I think you will be safe to pop the cover with the bike on the side stand to not waste the oil.

Good opportunity to check all clutch springs etc nice and tight and even measure stack height.

If you are feeling brave maybe even turn over with plugs out and see if noise is obvious.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian hope your well mate, you think it would be ok even with the sump full to the upper level in the sight glass?

So I guess you agree with my diagnosis of a slightly loose clutch spring?

I am fairly sure you will be ok with the oil as I have worked on the Busa, ZRX and old GS lumps in the past and got away with it on allof them.

At worst you might have to top up a small amount.

[mention]TimR[/mention] makes agoodpoint worth checking aswell.

Cheers

Ian

Kwak clatterings

Can be cam chain adjuster

Clutch basket worn ( grooves in basket fingers) caused by excessive clutch dumping

Clutch basket bearing worn

Or as mentioned the main bearing on the transmission to clutch basket shaft ( sits in the gearbox casing behind all the clutch mechanism) collapses and ball bearings escape etc .