2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250

DJP

127540597_BanditWeb1250.jpg.0af69dacde94df83b0ce7e83057aa3a5.jpgBack in 2007 I bought a brand new Bandit 1250. At the time, it was a new model, a thorough redesign of the original 1200 with more torque, six gears, a stiffer frame and revised suspension giving a sportier ride than before. Having owned and liked the Bandit 600 it seemed a natural progression.

Sadly, after 7 years of almost daily use my first Bandit started to look a bit rough around the edges and it was time for a change. I spent several years on an MT07, a good little bike, but I came to the conclusion that I prefer bigger engines with more cylinders. Trouble is, bikes like that now seem to fall into a few distinct categories: Full-on sports bikes, which are too uncomfortable for me, Adventure bikes which are nice but which I find too wide for efficient progress in London traffic and Retro bikes which are either ridiculously tiny, ridiculously slow or both. Only the Yamaha XSR900 appeared to buck the trend but even that didn't quite hit the mark. So after test riding a number of newer, flashier models I bought a brand new, relaunched for 2016, Bandit 1250.

Of course revisiting an old flame is always fraught: Maybe the memory will turn out better than the reality, so I figured that I’d try to do an objective mini-review.

At 6'1” the Bandit fits me perfectly. Even with the seat in the default, lower position, my knees fit neatly into the tank recesses. And if I close my eyes and reach out, the handlebars are exactly where I expect to find them. The instruments are simple and clear, the mirrors actually work and the switchgear is appropriately sized for gloved hands. All very natural and familiar.

On the downside, the hydraulic clutch is heavier than the modern breed of slip-assist jobbies but on the upside the gear-change is superior to pretty much everything else that I’ve ridden: Every change is an ultra precise click and even selecting first on a cold engine simply results in a more positive click rather than the usual clunk-and-lurch of most other bikes. This has always surprised me: Motorcycle gearboxes are all substantially the same, yet only Suzuki seem able to manage this trick.

And the engine is a seriously smooth motor with perfect fuelling and shed loads of creamy torque from just off idle. Happy to run down to a walking pace with no signs of any fuel-injection stutters, yet equally happy to power on to 140+ mph. Max power chimes in at 7,000rpm but it's hardly relevant: This engine's best enjoyed short-shifting between 3,000 and 5,000rpm and surfing that tidal wave of torque.

The chassis is pretty much unchanged from 2007. The forks are conventional 43mm units, adjustable for preload only, and the rear shock is adjustable for preload and damping. A machine of this size and heft is never going to be the last word in agility, and the suspension is built for comfort rather than cornering prowess. When pushing on, the bike needs to be muscled into the bends but it's stable at all speeds and a surprisingly good handler. Only the OE Sportmax tyres let the side down, they grip OK but they try to follow every irregularity in the road surface.

The 2016 fairing has been slightly modified, allegedly to improve airflow over the rider and passenger, and it appears to have worked. On my original Bandit 1250, I'd resolved to change the screen before I'd even got home, whereas on this I've yet to notice any such shortcomings. And the seat is comfortable for over 100 miles which ain't bad considering that some of the bikes I test rode induced bum death after 20 minutes.

So I conclude that the Bandit remains relevant: Too many modern bikes suffer from poor fuelling, fiddly switchgear, uncomfortable seats and mirrors that show little more than your elbows. These things may sound like minor gripes but for a daily driver they can soon become major irritations. The Bandit may not be cutting edge but it just works. Not all of us want to play at being Valentino Rossi or even Charley & Ewan. Some of us just want bikes that can do a bit of everything, and do it well, in the real world. And the Bandit 1250 does that in spades.

Edited by DJP

Good interesting read, I currently have a GSX600F, I returned to bikes a few years back and was initially tempted by a 600 Bandit.

While looking of one I found this GSX600F at a good price so bought it.

I have been tempted to look for a newer bike recently and a Bandit 1200/1250 could well be on my short list. May be event he similar GSX1250 with the full fairing.

Good write up DJP. I have had a 2008 1250 now for 16 months and fully agree with all your comments relating to your original bike.

Is the new screen much better as I have been thinking about a changing mine.

Traditional sports tourer seem to be disappearing now and being replaced with the likes of V stroms and Versys.