Suzuki GS500 2008

Throttled

What model was it? 2008 Suzuki GS500

When did you buy it and how much did it cost? Thankfully I did not buy it, I started my DAS on one and had three lessons and gave up.

Good points? It is the basis for other bikes by other manufacturers such as Hyosung, so it must be doing something right.

Bad points? Errr

I am big and tall and it is cramped, so much so I had to stop at some point during every lesson I had on it to relieve sciatic pains I would get in my back.

Vvvvviiiiiibbbbbbrrrraaattttiiiiiooooonnnnnsssss from the rough sounding twin.

Reliabilty and build quality. My first lesson on my 125cc before I started on the GS ended after the instructors GS broke down. Some magnet that spun round somewhere in the engine had sheered off. The next time I saw the instructor he told me they had the same problem with another bike the next day and that thye regretted buying the Suzukis because of problems. Oh and build quality, they all looked very tatty, even the new ones.

Would I buy one? No, not even as a run a round.

Link to specifications and history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GS500

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/1997SuzukiGS500E-001.jpg/800px-1997SuzukiGS500E-001.jpg

I've had a 1998 gs500 for 3 months and 2.5k miles and it's been faultless. All I've done is topped up the oil (twice) and adjusted the chain. Does sound like a pair of maracas tho when warm lol.

I'd describe the engine as a bit agricultural but it's a workhorse and certainly does the job. I get about 70mpg and costs peanuts to insure (60 quid a year as my first big bike). I do want more, but I can't complain about mine, it's been great so far.