2004 Suzuki SV650s (restricted)

JamieK

Suzuki SV650sK3 'restricited'

i brought it at the end of March 2011 cost a bit under £3k

ill start with all the bad points..

firsty, i was told that i wont be able to go on rides longer than 20 mins before my arms start killing, this is not true, when i first got the bike my arms would ache a bit after a long run but now there fine and its well over 120 miles before your arms ache but its nothing bad and by that time your neck has fallen off and is 20 miles down the road and your ass if part of the bikes structure :P

another bad thing the suspension is really really soft!!! 'apparently'...

i have no idea if this is true as ive gone from a supermoto style 125 to this and it seems fine to me in fact when you feel like youve gone past the point of no more grip and cornering ability it just seems to be quite solid and carries on round the corner no problem

now the good points as they werent really bad! :D

torque! for a restricted bike, when people say to you 'are your sure its restricted' its a good feeling and seems to pull away from the lights very well, ie; no car has beat me off the line yet! (V12 merc-benz couldnt beat me off the line)

noise! with a standard can on, it to be fair did sound crap! but since ive had a bigger exhaust on its sounds awesome! doesnt sound loud enough to me, but people say 'yes we heard you coming' soo its not so bad :)

yes i would defiantly get another! and recommend to anyone looking for a first big bike!

other comments;

suzukis apparently common for rusting.. not seen much of it on mine yet however it doesnt look like its done a winter yet so im a bit cautious about this winter and using it but we should be ok :)

i will keep it until my restriction is up for sure as it is a great bike! and i love the low down grunt! but when i come to change bike i will look at more a naked style just for the seating position as i was on a 125 supermoto which was perfect! but i just needed this engine and looks but cant have everything! :)

defiantly the best bike ive owned and really theres nothing that let it down in my opinion! :mrgreen:

I remember my restricted SV feeling quite torquey as well, but I almost had a car beat me off the line :lol:.

The suspension is soft! :D.

Good parts are its very easy to chuck around and have fun on!

• 7 months later...

I have a SV !

To change the exhaust is very recommended, I did install Roadsitalia and the sound is a bit excessive but nice :P

What tire do you have in yours SV ? I'm riding Dunlop Sportsmart, when it is hot ok, but when it's cold or it's raining...the tire behave very very badly.

• 2 months later...

After going from a GT650 to the SV I always found that th front end felt really light and unpredicatable like it was going to was h out at any minute.

After going from a GT650 to the SV I always found that th front end felt really light and unpredicatable like it was going to was h out at any minute.

To be fair I have had the front wash out (currently riding around on one every so often when I dont fancy the car) as well, not very nice! I didn't fall off though, saved it... :|

• 9 months later...

The SV's are great bikes if you like twisties and, with a good screen, will cruise happily at 90mph all day (and deliver 70mpg!). If you're not young and supple lower pegs and riser bars are easy to source and fit. In fact, for after-market kit, SV's are spoilt. The late 20th century designed Suzuki 650 twin is a legend and it's still used, with mods to fuel supply and management, in current SV's and DL's. I've been reliably informed that they're good for 100K when looked after. Since we Brits are unreasonably paranoid about mileage a high mileage SV with service history could make a bargain commuter.

Design of the 'new' 'pointy' SV, introduced in 2003 (K3), didn't settle down until 2005 (K5). If you're thinking of getting an SV I'd recommend post 2004 (K4) because sourcing parts and after-market stuff is a bit easier. The K3 has a slight longer, steel sub-frame that's prone to corrosion on the welds. Something to watch when buying.

808122540_MySV650RvTeiffiOct2910-small.jpg.02d02a5fd669c6b02a35c7c213548a2a.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
If it's an SV, i'll be looking for a naked one though; not too fond of the half-faired sorta look

get fully faired then :wink:

:lol:

personally I would get the SV over the bandit

In the end I did do, got my fully faired Black SV650S at the end of February, love it :)