Suzuki GSR600 2008

getready

What model was it?

Suzuki GSR600 2008 with 400 miles on the clock, so it was virtually a new bike.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k551/getready1/DSC00029.jpg

Good points?

Engine – the slightly detuned Gixxer 600 engine is probably the best bit of the bike, it sounds awesome and pulls extremely well. Spin the engine above 8k and it really goes, but it’s equally happy enough mooching along in traffic. A mate of mine had a go on it and he said he thought it would be a tarted up Bandit, but he got off it with a massive grin on his face!

Looks – I think it looks great, smooth lines and being all black makes it even better. I’ve seen some other GSR’s in what I would deem to be dodgy colour schemes, but for me black is the colour to have. It does get quite a few looks from people. Rear LED’s look cool.

Handling – extremely light and chuckable and great fun to ride. The front has a habit of coming up if you wind the power on too quickly – not sure whether this is good or bad!

Gear indicator – very useful.

Bad points?

The overall build quality is not comparable to Honda for example in terms of paint/components, but most people already know this....

Brakes – The front brake is not really powerful enough and fades a bit, given the engine that is in this bike.

The rear foot rests appear to have a mind of their own and often drop down to invite non-existent pillions to climb aboard.

Mirrors – If you are tall like me, the mirrors are way too low to see anything out of without bending down. You can slacken the bolts and twist them forwards, but this also moves your front brake and clutch down to a ridiculous angle, which is also less than ideal! Probably need to buy a pair of mirror extenders.

Storage - No under seat storage due to the exhaust running under the pillion seat. You would struggle to get more than a pencil in there.

Tyres – BT016’s do not last very long if you like to ride in a spirited fashion.

Would you get another?

Definitely yes. As this was my first bike I was looking for a naked bike that I could ride around town and have a bit of fun on at the weekends. I didn’t want a full on sports bike, but did want something that would give decent performance, so job done.

Good review, I have oftern wondered if its worth getting a GSR600. but I really do worry about the build quality of new Suzukis.

It's more the components such as the bars, switch gear and paint job that looks a bit cheap on the GSR when you compare them to their siblings on a Honda.

The bike is too new to show any mechanical issues, but I'm fairly sure that older gixxers/bandits etc are pretty reliable in terms of motors.

Great review, thank you.

That was exactly what I needed as I was suggested to get that bike as a 2nd bike and restrict it until I become 21 years old.

Do you think its worth it?

Yes, go for it, the GSR is a great bike and good fun to ride without going near the powerband, which is probably how it would ride if it was restricted.