GSX750F 1998

Boro Jake

This was my first 'big bike' from a Yamaha YBR :D

Good points?

One massive good point for me (this being my first bike aged 21) is for the power you get (93BHP) the insurance is considerabley cheap for a 750. The de-tuned GSXR engine is boring from 1,000 to 6,000 (I used this for fuel saving when commuting) however once you wind it up after 6,000 RPM the super smooth paralel 4 comes into its own, first gear your hitting 60mph second your in the 80s. The bike is very comfortable for long journeys depsite being mae to a budget at 6'1ft i was leaning forward slightly. The gear box is silky smooth apart from first gear to second where most bikes slam into anyway. Desite its weight with decent tyres on the GSXF is fairly decent into corners but its no sports 600. Commuting to and from work i generally averaged 45-50 MPG which is very good for a 750 stick a aftermarket exhaust on and it sounds beautiful.

You can pick low milage examples of this bike for £900-£1500

Bad points?

Weight - at 200+KG dry weight this is one heavy beast so it demands respect when cornering.

Looks - Known as the 'Teapot' love it or hate it, its all down to your taste.

Brakes and Suspension - Build to a budget, suspension can be harsh and takes lots of tinkering to find the correct setup. Brakes need stripping down every year.

Low down Torque - Pillioned a few times and it seriously lacks low down torque find i had to really wind it up to pass cars.

Often i found this bike to handle awful in the rain due to its weight and i often felt the back end twitching.

http://i53.tinypic.com/97la37.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/23k6osm.jpg

Would you get another?

Definitely yes. For the price you pay for this bike theres nothing to complain about.

Had one of these as a loan bike a number of times and found it a bit gutless and uninspiring.

Love the price of them though and it'd make a cracking winter hack - for many, many years.

Nice write up, cheers :D

• 4 years later...

Good points?

One massive good point for me (this being my first bike aged 21) is for the power you get (93BHP) the insurance is considerabley cheap for a 750. The de-tuned GSXR engine is boring from 1,000 to 6,000 (I used this for fuel saving when commuting) however once you wind it up after 6,000 RPM the super smooth paralel 4 comes into its own, first gear your hitting 60mph second your in the 80s. The bike is very comfortable for long journeys depsite being mae to a budget at 6'1ft i was leaning forward slightly. The gear box is silky smooth apart from first gear to second where most bikes slam into anyway. Desite its weight with decent tyres on the GSXF is fairly decent into corners but its no sports 600. Commuting to and from work i generally averaged 45-50 MPG which is very good for a 750 stick a aftermarket exhaust on and it sounds beautiful.

Bad points?

Weight - at 200+KG dry weight this is one heavy beast so it demands respect when cornering.

Brakes and Suspension - Build to a budget, suspension can be harsh and takes lots of tinkering to find the correct setup. Brakes need stripping down every year.

Low down Torque - Pillioned a few times and it seriously lacks low down torque find i had to really wind it up to pass cars.

Often i found this bike to handle awful in the rain due to its weight and i often felt the back end twitching.

Would you get another?

Definitely yes. For the price you pay for this bike theres nothing to complain about.

I bought one of these recently for £700, this is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever been on lol

for the price of £700 with 12 months mot can't really go wrong but it's a marmite sort if bike love them or hate them

Good points?

Bad points?

Would you get another?

I thought it was just me, I got caught in the rain yesterday & I could feel the backend slipping!

Have to respect this bike !

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk