Another GS500 (2003 this time)

salsarider79

What model was it? 2003 Suzuki GS500 K2

When did you buy it and how much did it cost? I picked it up cheap as a winter/commuter hack, and since a crash earlier this year, my only bike. I picked it as it was only £800 with hand guards, heated grips and a top box. I learnt on one so I know what they are like to ride. Dull.

Good points? It starts. Eventually. And at the moment I'm down to using a screwdriver to start it. It is quite tough. Oh, and it is cheap enough to run.

Bad points? Quality or lack of. They all look tatty, even the new ones, and ones that are touching 50k and have been used to commute in all weathers since new, well. The fuel tank is starting to show signs of rust, and all the electrics are under the seat plastics. Exept the mudguard doesn't cover them, so I'm having to go through and clean each bit. Poor design that is.

One biker that looked at my bike said it was clearly a mechanics bike. It has been properly serviced since new. At the last service it had new oil and filters, brake fluid, etc. Mechanically sound. Or it will be when I replace the starter solenoid. I have also had to replace the exhaust which was a real nightmare. The header bolts had to be drilled out. I can't believe they made the exhaust a 1piece! I found an original exhaust for the bike in swindon, but the garage wanted £532 for it.

The rear suspension is fine I load the topbox up or put heavy panniers on, but the front is so soft...I can easily bottom out the forks under braking. Or speed humps, or matchsticks, or....(I am taking the urine, but the forks are far too soft)

I replaced the original bars as they flexed and bounced way too much. Scary going round corners watching them flexing. Now I just watch the forks flexing when cornering....

I still love motorbikes, but if you are at the stage where even a deuville would be too exciting, this would be a good choice. Honest, even the seat was a bit more comfortable, it really would send you to sleep. My God it's dull.

p.s. I can't sleep tonight. Though re reading this, I should go for a ride. Then again, I might just count GS500's til I drift off....