GSF650S (Bandit)

Nell

What model is it? 650 Bandit, K5

When did you get it? December 2008. Had 2 previous owners, and came with full luggage and a second top box

How much was it? £2800. Was a three year old bike with just over 8500 miles on it, and in perfect nick.

Good points:

*Good as a first bike for newly passed riders. It feels very planted and the power delivery is nice and smooth. It often (imo unfairly) gets called a blandit because it's not particularly exciting, but I find it depends what you want from a bike. I like steady and this bike suits my needs and requirements.

*It handles well, and is quite forgiving through corners.

*Is quite a comfortable bike with an upright riding position- ideal for those not keen on the typical sports styled dropped bars.

*Is a great all rounder- well balanced bike at low speed, happy on motorways and the half-fairing and screen pretty decent for windblast.

Bad points.

It's a heavy sod, and takes some effort to move,

Brakes- i can't speak for other bandits, but my bike was sitting in storage for a couple of years, so even with a complete overhaul, service and change of fluid, they don't inspire a lot of confidence, the rear especially seems pretty weak. I am perhaps too used to the bike that I trained on, which was a (fair bit) lighter yamaha xj6 and stopped on a sixpence. The pads appear to be standard ones, so I think I will upgrade to some better ones and see if it makes any difference. This one doesn't have ABS, just normal brakes.

Carbs- Niggle as opposed to a bad point- I personally find they give the bike a bit more character and thus doesn't feel as 'souless' as a lot of the FI bikes I've ridden, but they are an absolute pain in the arse in the cold. It objected to being asked to start several times before i took it out today. Stroppy mare.

Build quality- it's a Suzuki so don't expect great things. The first sign of moisture and the paint on the swingarm starts to pit.

Would I have one again? Yeah, I'm happy with it. Does what I want.

Things to consider As well as upgrading the brakes, I think I'm also going to get a rear hugger for it, as it seems to kick a lot of dirt up to the underside of it. Also, be careful with the throttle at low speed. It can be pretty quick off the mark, if you're not used to it.

• 2 weeks later...

The XJ6 you had did brake like a nutter I can vouch for that, I had one as a hire bike for 6 months this year when my ER got knocked into. Brembo calipers were on it and they are the dogs proverbial when it comes to brakes :)

The XJ6 you had did brake like a nutter I can vouch for that, I had one as a hire bike for 6 months this year when my ER got knocked into. Brembo calipers were on it and they are the dogs proverbial when it comes to brakes :)

Ahh that explains it. :D

Still got standard brake lines on? And don't suppose you know how old the brake pads are? You might not be able to make it as good as the Xj but I reckon you could make it better :D

I'm not sure tbf, I'd have to hunt through the service records. Still has the original lines, but when I took it out on Saturday, there was a noticeable difference. I think they're 'freeing off' so to speak, and were responding very well now they're actually being used. Rear actually caught me out at a junction, as it did just stop. :lol: OH had a go on it as well and came to the conclusion 'nothing wrong with those'. I'll still upgrade, I think, but they'll do for now.