Suzuki Intruder c800

priest

i think it is time to post my review of this bike. i originally posted it on cruiserforum.co.uk (is it ok to advice on the original source?)

http://www.cruiserforum.co.uk/pics/intruder800.jpg

I am riding my Intruder for seven months so far and i think it is a good time to share the first impression on the subject.

Look and feel

For me the look of the bike is probably the most important thing and this bikes looks great indeed. My model has a classic headlight which is great. Later models have a modern-style headlight and i personally think it does not look good any more. So i have two guns, lots of chrome and this is what i am up to. However there a lot of plastic details including chromed plastic but as long as it looks great i don't care much though i now some say that a proper cruiser should not have plastic at all. I did not realise before how comfortable the foot boards are. Probably for me it becomes now on of the most important things on bikes The seat is comfortable (does any one know a cruiser with an uncomfortable seat?) However the handling bars seem to be too low for me and unfortunately i don't find them very comfortable. But i am not yet sure if this is something that can be easily adjusted. Again, it is ok for every day riding but it should be better.

Engine

I often hear people saying that a motorbike with less than 1000cc is not a cruiser. Well, yes and no. Riding my Intruder for half a year i can now say that extra cc and power won't harm it but i can confirm that having 800cc is absolutely ok for me. i am mostly riding in the city so for me the main point is having enough torque on low rpm. And it has enough, though again having more would not harm. But i think i understand those who say that for cruising at long distances they need more cc. one thing that confuses me is that i get around 100miles on 10 litres of regular petrol which is a bit disappointing. But again, i ride mostly in the city. Would be interesting to hear from others on their figures.

Brakes

My Intruder has a rear drum brake and a disk one on the front. I personally think that having a drum brake on the rear is ok but i suspect one has to adjust it quite often. I have already had to do this (£20 or £25 at a local garage, can't remember exactly). The front brake is OK, however in order to brake hard you have to apply a bit power to the lever. This is absolutely unacceptable on sports bike and for those who love hard braking and hard accelerating. But this bike is not about it, is it? It is all about easy and relaxing riding for me.

Reliability

I am the second owner and have done nothing to it apart from adjusting the rear brake. So not sure i can a lot on reliability at the moment

http://www.cruiserforum.co.uk/pics/intruder800_2.jpg

Overall

i think it is a very good bike, though there things that i would prefer to be improved

• 4 years later...