Suzuki Intruder VL 125 2005

Guest sejx

I had an Intruder 125 as my first bike and loved it, Looks bigger than a 125 and being only 5'2" had a low seat height which gave me real confidence as a learner.

No 125cc is going to be a speed machine, but the Intruder has a V twin, giving it a little bit more torque. I could happily cruise down the by-pass at 70 mph !

it was also 'free' riding, because as they are very popular bikes I never lost any money on it, when I sold it.

Mine was a 2005 model which I bought in January 2012 and then sold in the August. In that time I had no mechanical problems with it, and I probably covered about 4k. I did change the plugs and oil for maintenance.

I had always planned to do DAS bike test so had all my lessons and did my tests on the riding school's 500cc bike, but a friend who had the Marauder 125, found it very difficult to do Mod 1 on (because of cruiser style) and changed to a YBR125

Pros:

Great looking bike.

Cheap to run and great fun to ride

Good for vertically challenged riders!!

Cons:

Need constant cleaning and polishing to keep it looking nice

Not the best 125 to do mod 1 bike test on

Edited by Anonymous

i bought a vl125 intruder a few years ago and it seemed a very stable machine. it wasn't great in the corners if im honest, but what cruiser style bike is?! ufortunately, mine was a bag of spanners. should have known when much of it came in plastic bags! i didn't get a great distance out of it before it clapped out and i couldn't get it started again. fortunately they do hold their value and i only lost £100 in selling it (broken!), so i was chuffed!

i bought a vl125 intruder a few years ago and it seemed a very stable machine. it wasn't great in the corners if im honest, but what cruiser style bike is?! ufortunately, mine was a bag of spanners. should have known when much of it came in plastic bags! i didn't get a great distance out of it before it clapped out and i couldn't get it started again. fortunately they do hold their value and i only lost £100 in selling it (broken!), so i was chuffed!

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I am looking at buying an Intruder as my first bike. Never had any experience riding bikes before. I love the look of the bike and thought it would be a good place to start. Is there anything I need to look out for when buying one of these. Any mechanical issues that are common with these bikes. Any information would be greatfully received.

I threw ours down the road and it still worked ok afterwards so they're pretty bomb proof :lol:

Although we did have some issues with it cutting out off choke when you slowed down... think that was just carb related job which you could get on any carb bike (someone had a ninja with a similar sounding issue a while back - weirdly not mine that time :lol: )

Only downside is don't expect any acceleration at all after about 55 unless you're going downhill - which just means you have to forward plan better :thumb: