Suzuki RV 125 Van Van

Mississippi Bullfrog

Love it or hate it, the Van Van is that kind of bike. Back in the 70's the Californian beach bums needed something with big fat tyres to cruise the sands, and the original Van Van was born. In the early years of the 21st Century someone had the bright idea of relaunching the same concept and the current version has been in production virtually unchanged since then. The only notable change has been the introduction of fuel injection to replace the good old carb.

It is hoot to ride, obviously not that fast, but lightweight, well mannered and with those big fat tyres it trundles over road imperfections without bothering about them at all. You know those long shiny bits where they bodge the surface back together, poorly fitted cats eyes, pot holes, gouges, grids - well the Van Van just removes them from existence. Round town it excels with a good comfy riding position and easy balance. You can ride to a standstill in heavy traffic. The gears are slick, those who report crunchy gear selection have usually undone the wrong bolt when changing the oil and replaced the gear selector rod upside down.

It obviously isn't a bike for the motorway, and there's not much to be done to increase power. The engine is limited by its valves and head, messing with the exhaust won't do anything. But there are two things you can do. The first is to fit a screen, that improves the aerodynamics no end. The other is the usual thing of fitting a smaller front cog. Carb bikes come with 15 teeth front cogs as standard, FI have 14. You just go down one. That keeps the engine in a better rpm range when in 6th. In theory a Van Van will top 70mph in standard form, but only going downhill with the wind behind you. In reality you push it as far as you can in 5th, stick it in 6th, and it slows down again. Any gradient or headwind and 6th is useless. With a smaller cog mine will hit 68mph before the rev limiter kicks in (10k), but it will hold at a steady 60mph all day, headwind or moderate gradient included. (You really wouldn't want to do this to be honest because the engine is spinning at around 9,000 rpm so it gets a bit wearing.) But if you stick to A roads long journeys are fine. What you lose on power you more than make up in comfort, simplicity and ease of riding.

Simplicity is high on the Van Van's list of attributes. The switchgear is all standard (usual Suzuki clutch in to start), there's a neat little speedo, neutral light, turn light, fuel low light (FI models), high beam light and FI fault light. Maintenance is a cinch, the high exhaust means everything at the back end is easy to get at. Most jobs can be done by anyone with a modicum of mechanical aptitude, spares are cheap. The finish is slightly better than Suzuki's usual rust prone creations, but if you ride all winter protect it with ACF50. Popular modifications are to add a front mudguard extension and also a rear mudguard flap that covers the shock. The rears can be cut out of a cheap car mat to good effect. Serious riders fit heated grips which the 12v system copes with but don't leave them switched on at a break or it won't restart. The battery isn't huge. Many add a tachometer but you really don't need one, the engine is pretty good at letting you know what it's doing.

Keep the tyre pressures at a modest 18psi front and back. Either side of that and the Van Van lets you know it isn't happy, you start to notice road imperfections. Cornering is a bit of a doddle given the size and weight of the bike and the huge tyres. You just can't fall off the side of them. Everyone has their own style, I find that laying the bike over a bit, sitting more upright in the saddle and slightly counter steering, just means it goes round corners without any fuss or drama.

It's the kind of bike that puts a smile on your face at the end of every journey. If you're looking for something that is easy to ride, easy to maintain, that will give you confidence and provide cheap reliable transport, have a sit on one.

Oh - the bits I forgot - I've had mine just over two years. Love it to bits. Would easily buy another - in fact due to a rather generous relative I'm currently looking at one of the new 200's. I've been looking at bigger stuff, but I know they won't make me smile half so much, and that's really what counts most.

http://i.imgur.com/VRhyYmO.jpg?1