Honda Varadero 125cc

Comrade

What model was it? 2004

When did you buy it and how much did it cost? Purchased in 2011, £950

Good points? NIce commanding riding position, road presence, looks like a big bike, insanely good mileage, that twin is smooth.

Bad points? no fuel gauge. Prefers high revs to get some life outta it, 10-11k been where peak power is

Would you get another? YES prolly one of the only 125s i would have i would buy the 1000 or 650 version

Any other comments Great starter bike, brilliant handling and reliable.

• 1 month later...

What model was it? 2008

When did you buy it and how much did it cost? Purchased brand new in 2008, £3,000

Good points? Excellent riding position for a learner, big bike too, runs like a dream and has superb range.

Bad points? Can't really think of a bad point for what it is.

Would you get another? No, as I have moved on to bigger and faster things.

Any other comments ? Superb learner bike, especially for the larger person (of which I am not).

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/Ratser/Bike/DSC00144.jpg

• 1 month later...

Further thoughts

1st gear insanely short as with most 125s

2nd gear insanely short

3rd gear insane range from 30-60 no bother

4th gear mix range 50-70 , not even sure why we have this gear otehr than cruise-ish

5th gear only use this at 60-75 anything less and your gonna be sluggish as a slug crawling through treacle

• 1 month later...
Want to trade my for a cbr, do you think this is a wise choice? Just won't a bit more speed.

I also had a 2008 125 Varadero, if you mean trade it for a 125 CBR I would say no isn't worth it, and the 125 CBR does not have the big bike feel of the Varadero.

Want to trade my for a cbr, do you think this is a wise choice? Just won't a bit more speed.

I also had a 2008 125 Varadero, if you mean trade it for a 125 CBR I would say no isn't worth it, and the 125 CBR does not have the big bike feel of the Varadero.

Would you say its faster??

It might a bit more nippy through the gears but overall, the Varadero has a top speed of 72mph, where as the CBR is 70mph. Again very little difference so not much point in changing the Vara for a CBR in my opinion but really comes down to what your personal preference is.

• 2 months later...

Hello all

I see from all the replies nobody has a bad word for the baby varadero and I totally agree.

What a cracking bike for a 125 I bought mine new in Sept 2008 and only traded it 3 weeks ago against a Transalp as i wanted a little more power for overtaking etc, the Transalp being a very similar bike with a bigger engine. On several occassions I managed to get a little over 80mph out of my Varadero and I used it frequently for commuting, touring, Yorkshire Dales, Wales etc and covered 23,000 miles with it and it never let me down! I can state however I carried out oil changes at 2,000 mile intervals rather than the recommended 2,500 miles it was very well looked after. I replaced the fork seals when they began to seap a little and other than rear wheel bearings and brake pads that was it just general maintenance, so I regularily achieved 300 miles per tank of fuel. It was only in strong winds, steep hills and overtaking when you noticed the lack of CC's and thats why I exchanged it, as I was tired of being stuck behind some morron car drivers otherwise I would have it now thouroughly recomended bike. It looks and feels like a bigger bike so much so i had to convince my test examiner that it was only 125cc before he would allow me to take the test!

Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying one as a good learner bike, holds it value very well too you wont regret it :o)

Cheers

Darren

• 3 weeks later...

The Varadero 125’s comfortable locking seat opens to reveal a large storage space under the forward rider’s section that provides ample room for carrying gloves, tool kit and other riding essentials.