Honda CBR600F6

Fozzie

The Honda CBR600F led the way for practical sports bikes since it started production in the late 80's. The last incarnation of this breed was the F6, which finished production in 2006 due to EU regulations. The later F models came with Honda's 'foxeye' front fairing bringing the looks of the bike up to date under pressure from customers who found the look of the older models slightly behind especially for a bike as mechanically brilliant as this.

Perfect as a beginners sports bike, but used by experienced riders from all around due to its practicality. The standard F came with a 110BHP producing inline 4 engine supposedly able to top 160mph. Coupled to the fact it was then well mannered in town, 2 up and calm and settled on a motorway the CBR ticked all the right boxes for many.

The bikes are well priced and you often get more than you pay for. With the introduction of the newer Hornet based model as well the prices for these gems have dropped significantly this year. The aftermarket parts industry for these bikes is massive due to them being very popular and spares are plentiful.

In terms of reliability they are near on unstoppable. With the exception of the cam chain tensioner which was known for getting "rattly" after 30k miles or so there have been no horror stories as you'd expect with a bike possessing such a rich heritage. MPG in town is not bad for a sports bike, turning out 45mpg in town and 60mpg on the motorway. With a 4.8 gallon tank and a reserve gauge to warn you when you are getting low you can make london to manchester on a single tank.

The full fairing is very protective of the rider and does a good job of keeping the rain off. The seating position accomodates the taller rider very well and the seat and suspension allow for a very balanced bike in terms of handling and comfort.

To top it all off the bike has a centre stand allowing you to do most of your own servicing on the bike with great ease. The service schedule is good with reasonably spaced intervals. The bike rarely needs extensive work and balancing the throttle bodies takes 10 minutes with the fairings off.

The niggles with this bike are the air ducts, which hit your hands when you turn the bars onto full lock unsettling a rider very easily. The bike has a snatchy nature on warm up so its is suggested you let it run for a couple of minutes before setting off. The seat is also very slippy for pillions prompting purchase of a Tribo seat cover.

This bike having a centre stand and 14kg less weight than the brand new one prompts me to say that the new one is pointless whilst good examples of these are still around. The F6 got the FS engine, which went into the first CBR600RR and the uprated suspension front and back while keeping the comfy one piece seat.

So for a first sports bike, or do it all sports bike. The CBR600F was well and truly built for the masses.

http://pics.adoos.co.uk/51610853fb23583bd540e65cccebdb51-1-3-honda-cbr-600-f6-599cc-silver-2006-silver-3-owners.jpg

Honda CBR600F6

07 Plate

£4500 with 3 months warranty

8300 Miles

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A very small detail, but can anyone with the post-2011 model tell me how effective the single headlight is. I'm going to be commuting, often in the dark and wondered if there's a noticeable difference between this and dual-light competitors.

• 3 months later...

I have an f4 2004 model of these (also currently selling :-P) and it is a fantastic all rounder, will go for miles and miles really fast without leaving you needing a chiropractor for your ruined spine afterwards... A truly brilliant bike.

• 7 years later...

I have just bought the cbr600 f sport from a dealer,priced @ 2495 with 24000 on the clocks. Only 4 owners from new and full service history. The bike store is going to service it, put a full not on it and give me 3 months warranty. I think this is a bargain. And they are going to deliver it to my house. Winner winner chicken dinner🙃

• Like 2