Kawasaki KLE 500 B1P

Throttled

The Kawasaki KLE 500 was built between 1991 and 1998 and then again from 2005 to 2007. This review is for my 2005 model (designated B1P) which I bought June 2011 for £2100 with 6000 miles on the clock, one prevous owner and in very good condition.

For more information on the KLE 500 that anywhere else, go to Horizons Unlimited the touring website.

Here is mine, in Metallic Flat Spark Black

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6072/6072848767_3331a2b165_b.jpg

I have added the following extras. Top box, mirror extenders, Powerbronze flip screen and a gel pad from DanMedicaSouth covered with some anti slip netting and a Fenda Extenda. That is because it is being used all year round and for touring.

REVIEW (adapted from one on MCN)

MCN's terrible review of the KLE500 meant I dismissed it as a possible first big bike. That was until I saw one in the flesh and had a chance to ride it. The ride is soft, but I find that very comfortable. I find the handling is fine, but it is not a sports bike and I am not a speed freak. The brakes are not brilliant, MCN got that right. It dives and you need to pull the brake and push the pedal as hard as you can to emergency stop. It will sit at 70mph on the motorwway perfectly happily. What it beats many other bikes hands down is coping with bad weather. Its low centre of gravity, wide handlebars and big wheels with dual purpose tyres mean you can ride in rain like there is none there. It handles high winds well. It is well equiped as standard with hand guards, screen, rack, but no fuel guage.

This is a tall bike, the seat height is 850mm. The pillion part is wide and flat. The front part is odd as you sit in a curve that is quite narrow. I disagree about the discomfort of the saddle, it is not as bad as MCN make out, but I have added a gel seat pad. I am tall, so I got a bigger screen as the standard one puts the air right into my face. The Powerbronze flip quietens the bike down at speed and takes the wind blast over you.

Mine is 6 years old and apart from some pitting on the spokes people think it is brand new. There is no doubt that this bike, with a coat of protectorant spray will last for a long time.

The engine is nosy and vibrates a lot and has limited performance. But it is in a lower tax band than most and by reputation is very reliable. I have no idea how MCN only got 35mpg out of it. I can only assume they drove it like it is a sports bike and want it to be a sports bike. Without trying I get 55mpg around town. I have yet to use the reserve tank and I refuel at about 150 miles.

I love its road presence due to its height and mean looking headlights. I have had cars pull in to let me passed where on the other bikes I have ridden they would have ignored me.

Overall, as an analogy I would say that as the the BMW GS1200 is the Landrover Discovery of dual purpose bikes, the KLE500 is the Suzuki Jimny. Tough, cheap, characterful and very capable.

GOOD

Price including insurance and tax

Road Presence

Toughness

Lights

MEDIUM

Seat

Fuel Economy

Aftermarket extras

Performance

BAD

Old engine is a bit rough

Edited by Throttled

• 1 month later...
This is a tall bike, the seat height is 850mm.

The engine is nosy and vibrates a lot and has limited performance. But it is in a lower tax band than most and by reputation is very reliable. I have no idea how MCN only got 35mpg out of it.

Nice review, Throttled.

When I visit Scotland I won't be asking to try out your bike. With my short legs, and your bike's seat height of 850mm I would have to get the bike rolling, run alongside and swing myself into the saddle, Tom Mix style.

I wonder if the MCN's lower mpg might be attributed to US gasoline, which is at least 10% ethanol, which reduces mileage. Another possible explanation; if the European model doesn't have as restrictive exhaust emissions standards as the California model, that might account for the mpg difference.

I think MCNs mpg figure was dervived by revving the bike to its limits as if it was a sports bike. MCN want to go everywhere at 100mph.

I like pulling up to short people on low cruisers and looking down on them :wink: