Kawasaki ZZR600 2001 Y REG E7

AdeyT

Past my test about a year and half ago and this is my first bike so nothing to compare to.

I had my heart set on a ZZR600 as I wanted a bike for commuting, weekend rides and for touring and this bike does the lot.

I paid £1800 for my bike with 13.5k miles on the clock and in pretty good condition which I thought was quite a good deal, these bikes seem to be all kinds of prices so best to shop around, My bike would still easily sell for £1800.

I bought the bike from a place 100 miles from me and rode it back up the M1. Apart from the ER5's on my DAS course this was my first time on a bigger bike, after a few miles on the motorway, happily riding along I looked down at the clock and thought oh sh*t better slow down, didn't even realise, very easy to get used to riding.

Over the past 18 months and 3k+ miles, I have used my bike for the 8 mile round daily commute to work through all seasons and weather unless snow, ice or torrential rain. I have gone out at weekends with friends and give it some pasty and although not toured I have done a 200+ mile round trip up the east coast plus other shorter trips.

I have nothing negative to say about the bike, maybe when I have experienced riding other bikes I may look back and be able to compare but at this time it's all good.

So things I like about the bike,

Best bit, I am a short ar*e with inside leg of 29" and I can put both balls of my feet on the ground.

Found the bike to be really easy to ride fast or slow.

On the 200+ mile round trip I had no problems, really comfy. The bike has a double bubble screen and above 70ish I can drop my head a little which stops all the wind. Also the bike came with bar risers. Very pleased with the fuel consumption, can't remember how much it cost but can remember it wasn't a lot, £10 in the tank just for commuting seems to last ages, even blasting about at the weekend is really good.

99bhp and supposedly a top speed of 155 mph, not quite had the top speed out of it but must say this bike still wows me when it comes to acceleration and is fast enough for me, nowhere near had the best out of this bike. Around 7k revs and it's off, something to do with the ram air intake I believe. Although not the sportiest looking bike it does ride like one. Brakes and handling all good although rear brake is only useful really when stopping at junctions.

No reliability issues (touch wood), I have replaced the original down pipes with stainless ones as they were rusted and blowing, it already had Delkevic cans on the 4 into 2 system and sounds quite deep and meaty compared to my friends zzr600 which is a 4 into 1 exhaust system with a micron can.

Maintenance, changing the oil, oil filter, plugs etc is hassle free with the aid of my friend Mr Haynes, spare parts seem plentiful, had a little off a couple of weeks after getting the bike and had to change the generator cover, picked one of ebay straight away.

So all in all very happy with it and would recommend to anyone who wants a fast all rounder.

• 2 years later...