Kawasaki VN1700 Nomad

Solo

Note: my review pertains to the US model.

Year, Make and model: 2009 Kawasaki VN1700 Nomad

Purchased: June 2009 in Arizona, $14,300 USD

Current odometer: 13,600 miles

Good points:

- Upright riding position promotes relaxed, long-range touring

- Comfy seats for rider and passenger

- Cruise control

- 40 mpg average. Note: US gallons are about 20% smaller than imperial gallons. I don't rely on my bike's onboard computer, which always shows a higher avg mpg than the result I get when I do my own calculations.

- 6-speed transmission enables high speed cruising at low rpm (2850 rpm @ 80 mph). That's right about the engine's torque peak and felt vibration is almost nil.

Bad points:

- Requires 91 octane fuel (I haven’t tried regular fuel, but other Nomad owners tell me their bikes ping on regular)

- Fuel mileage suffers at high speed. The bike isn't very aerodynamically efficient. At a steady 80 mph the mpg drops to 35.

- Instruments are mounted on top of fuel tank (Harley style). This arrangement makes it awkward to use a regular size tank bag/map holder, but a small one will work.

- Heated grips not available as a factory option.

- No center stand (inconvenient, because you have to stand the bike upright to check engine oil level)

- Rear suspension is air adjustable but there’s no crossover tube, so each shock has to be inflated separately

- Airflow over windshield causes buffeting on my helmet.

Why I bought the Nomad

I rode a Harley Road King when I patrolled the streets of San Francisco and thought I would like to buy my own when I retired. But when I compared the Road King's specs and maintenance costs to similar bikes from other manufacturers, the Nomad won.

A note on tires: The OE Bridgestone Exedras have given good service. My original front tire still has tread, at 13,600 miles. I replaced the rear at 3,000 miles because of a puncture, and the replacement now has 10,500 miles with lots of tread remaining. Most of my riding is solo, with little luggage.

Would I buy another one?

Yes.

Edited by Solo

Good points:

- 40 mpg average (good for a heavy bagger)

Bad points:

- Instruments are mounted on top of fuel tank (Harley style), preventing use of a tank bag

- Heated grips not available

My Ultra Classic would pull between 45 and 59mpg depending on how it was being ridden - 40mpg seems almost ridiculous in comparison.

How many people ride baggers and use tank bags? Next to none that I've ever noticed. And can't you fit aftermarket heated grips? Are the bars a non-standard size?

Good points:

- 40 mpg average (good for a heavy bagger)"

My Ultra Classic would pull between 45 and 59mpg depending on how it was being ridden - 40mpg seems almost ridiculous in comparison.

Bad points:

- Instruments are mounted on top of fuel tank (Harley style), preventing use of a tank bag

"How many people ride baggers and use tank bags? Next to none that I've ever noticed.

"And can't you fit aftermarket heated grips?

My Nomad gets about the same avg mpg as I used to get on my Road King, which weighed about the same and had less power. My friends who ride various Harley models get between 40 and 48 mpg. I'm getting a little less avg mpg than other Nomad owners I've talked with. Differences in fuel used, riding style, elevation, average air temp and humidity, etc. all affect avg mpg.

I don't use a GPS so I miss not being able to fit a tank bag with a map pocket.

I listed the lack of heated grips for the benefit of anyone thinking about the Nomad who rides in a colder climate than I do. They're not essential for me.

Any photos, now you know what to do! How reliable has it been?

I'll take some photos and have Sharron resize them to fit on the forum.

The starter failed after about 4,000 miles and was replaced under warranty. No other problems.

I was out on the Nomad today and was reminded of one more "Bad Point" which I'll add to my review right now.

I've also edited the avg mpg entry, to point out that it's in US gallons, which are smaller than imperial gallons.

Good points:

- 40 mpg average (good for a heavy bagger)

Bad points:

- Heated grips not available

How many people ride baggers and use tank bags? Next to none that I've ever noticed. And can't you fit aftermarket heated grips? Are the bars a non-standard size?

Please see my latest edits which address avg mpg and heated grips.

was just sitting on one of these yesterday at m&s motorcycles (please remove if against rules). i liked the sitting position, loved the handlebars, in fact i loved almost everything about it.

however, i am a winter biker, and feel i would be too exposed on this bike. plus all the chrome to polish, :shock: