Kawasaki Versys ABS Mk2

Englishman

Ok, as a brand new rider and this is my first bike, this review is not going to be very intensive or technical. I hope that it will give my impressions of this machine, and more experienced owners can follow it up so anyone thinkin gof getting one of these is a bit better informed.

I passed my DAS in December, and had a 2010 Versys ABS in yellow sitting in the garage for a month before I passed. I couldn't wait to get out on it, but the icy weather stopped me for a week after my Mod 2 pass. Eventually, I had to get on it, and my first ever ride was in the rain and dark to get to work on it. The bike is extremely comfortable for someone who is 6' 2" with a 34" inside leg. I can easily get both feet flat when behind the pegs, and toes down next to them. The riding position is not at all crouched over the tank, and the bars are wide and natural feeling. The dash is clear and the analogue tacho combined with digital speedo and fuel gauge is great.

It clunks into first gear a bit when just started up, but subsequent gear changes are smooth, when you get them right with the throttle blip. The bike pulls really nicely in any gear and there is plenty of power when you need it for overtakes, or just to gun it when you can. Steering is sharp and once I really get confident it will flick in and out of corners with ease. I've seen youtube videos of a Versys on a track, and ridden well it will keep up with most sport bikes.

My only disappointment with the bike might only be down to me being new to this and not really having the confidence to get low lean angles: the factory fitted tyres are Dunlops and I really don't like them. In the wet, I just don't feel that they are going to stick to the road on bends and tight fast corners but as I say, this could just be down to me riding like a little girl for the time being. I'm sure that they are actually much better than I think they are, but until I really get some miles in and my ability improves, I don't want to push them to the edge. They have done 5.2K miles, but look in such good shape that they might be the second set, the original owner swapping like for like for warranty reasons. In the dry, they feel OK - I just haven't been able to ride many dry miles on them yet.

So, I think I'll update this post as I get more used to the bike and get better at riding but so far I can say that I LOVE this machine. It's quick, it's fun and it's very comfortable. It really is a do everything bike and it could take me to Southern Spain at the drop of a hat, or it could take me into the nearest tree at a rate of knots if I mess up more than the bike is capable of getting me out of. But, I reckon the bike is alot more able to get me out of things than I am in getting into them.

If you're in the market for a fun, do-it-all bike, the Versys has got to be worth a test ride. Also, you don't see many about and when you do, you will both be excited to see someone else with as good taste as you have.

:lol:

• 1 year later...

Good review, I have just got rid of my Versys after running it for two years. I totally agree with your comments on the original tyres, I had a couple of twitches whilst cornering on wet road so I fitted a set of Bridgestone BT023 which suited the bike. It's a tall bike so if you want a low lean angle you need to get it down a long way!! fantastic bike I'm sure your going to enjoy it.

Edited by Anonymous

BT023 are very good tyres. I have them on my gixxer.

Don't be too concerned about lean angle, we hang off the bike to allow it to stay more upright. If youre leaning it right over and not hanging off, youre not riding properly..

http://www.visordown.com/reviews/kit/ty ... /5163.html

• 11 months later...

I absolutley loved my mk2 Versys 650 and I owned her for a year before some scrote pinched her never to be seen again, mine was the black one with the yellow tank.

I replaced her with the Versys 1000, what a beautiful bike (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder) and she eats miles for fun

• 1 month later...

Well, I suppose I ought to update this review as two years have passed.

I still have this bike, and I still absolutely love it. With a couple of years experience now, I'm finally riding this like it should be ridden and it never lets me down in terms of what I want to do with it. The bike is all day comfortable, is fantastic for seeing over traffic and planning manoeuvres. As a commuter bike it's probably one of the best as it's nimble and slender enough to easily filter, it's plenty fast enough to get you away and up the road before the drivers have tapped "send" on their text. They say that if you park your bike up and don't turn around to look at it as you walk away, then you've bought the wrong one. I never fail to turn back. Some think it's fugly, but I think it's got a charm all of its own. My mate who rides a GSXF600 says that he wants a Versys for the simple reason that people always come up and talk to me when we're out, totally ignoring him and his blue teapot.

Two up, the bike feels a bit more planted at the back wheel and if your pillion is a slip of a girl then the handling and performance aren't adversely affected one bit. The Versys is comfy for the passenger too, especially if you use a pillion-buddy belt with handles. Going over the Snake Pass with a passenger is a great experience. In fact, the Versys has got some of my family thinking about getting a bike as they have enjoyed coming out on it and also seeing how much fun I have on it. I arrive with a great big smile on my face whenever I use the bike.

All on all, I couldn't have picked a better bike to have as my first. I've even had it immortalised in ink on my right arm. That's how much I love it.