Kawasaki ZX7R

9bhp

Just thought i`d do a quick review on the Kawasaki ZX7R

Arguably, the ZX7R is one of the best looking bikes, you can buy.

Possibly the most sorted front end in the business... but it does has its pitfalls.

Engine

The engine is impressive. Although the engine has just a little over 105bhp, it still had a healthy amount of acceleration and a top speed of just a tad over 160mph (if you are feeling brave)

Some tuners have these up to 160bhp.

I did one mod, which was to take out the resonators out of the induction pipes... waste of time if you ask me.

Slight bit more roar but no extra power due to increase air flow (though not dyno tested)

Some owners utilised the zx9r engine inside the 7r frame but the engine doers have to come from the "b" zx9r.. not c or e.

Acceleration in comparison to other bikes of its time, was actually pretty good.

Due to its weight, you could literally pin the throttle and just go. No dramas, no hassle.

The power was best around 10,000 rpm and the engine likes to be worked to get most of it, in which sounded awesome with the huge front vents sucking the air for a pleasurable induction roar!

Above 100mph it actually feels pretty planted and it does feel like its got a lot more to give

This bike hates cold weather.

Two words - "Carb Icing"

On a few occasions, I have had to pull over to allow the carbs to warm up as the petrol freezes inside, causing it to bog or stall. Silkolene do something called PRO-FST which does sort out the issue but still very frustrating if you haven't popped some in your tank.

Reliability

Never had any major problems with it.

Though they do tend to suffer with starting if been left in damp garages or outside. I have heard that wd40 inside of the kill switch normally resolves the problem.

Other than that, I rode it for about 10k with just normal maintenance and it was fine.

Changed the usual chain, sprockets, tyres, oil etc etc etc

Handling

As I said before, one of the best front ends ever.

In comparison to modern bikes, the 7r wont touch them.

However, in its day and even today, its a joy to ride.

The rear shock is slightly on the stiffer side but its not that bad to be honest.

Handling is VERY predictable. It would allow you to really fook it up and you wont upset the bike.

The handling of the bike is really dictated by the weight... basically, its a right fat bast*rd (trust me, you don't want to push it to your nearest petrol garage).

Being that its heavy, it allows the bike to stay planted and is not as skitty as you would find in other alternatives.

Brakes.

6 pot Tokico work great. Even better with braided lines and better pads.

Comfort

One word... NONE!

I`m 6 ft and had difficulty finding comfort on this with sending my wrists into paralysis!

Typical sport bike, head down arse up.

Its OK for 4 hours tops but then you need to leave it till next weekend.

If you of the lighter variety, it will be easier on you.

However, if you are built like Rick Waller... forget it son.

Pillions wont really appreciate the seating position either

Fuel tank.

18 liters with about 5 for reserve.

Gearbox.

Its ok but a bit on the clunky side... livable.

If I had the opportunity to buy another, I would in a heart beat.

Great looks, superb handling and a howling engine. It has all the power you really need, unless you are dragging your mates on modern bikes.

Get a black one

Frogs are green, ninjas are black :beer2:

Hush yo mouth sucka!

I track mine and do pretty well - I have a vid of a 20 min session where I was the only one doing any overtaking. :-)

For hilarity these things are great and they're pretty affordable as a toy so it doesn't matter so much if you break it.

What do you mean you removed the baffles? Did you hack out the clean air rubbish?

Hush yo mouth sucka!

I track mine and do pretty well - I have a vid of a 20 min session where I was the only one doing any overtaking. :-)

For hilarity these things are great and they're pretty affordable as a toy so it doesn't matter so much if you break it.

What do you mean you removed the baffles? Did you hack out the clean air rubbish?

Naw, the plastic intake have resonators that go into the fairing.

Basically, I was told if I cut them out and filler over the hole, it would create more airflow.

.... the result.... absolute tosh!

I can believe you do all the overtaking.. the 7r is a fantastic track tool.

Took mine to Donny but my experience probably hindered the bike lol

Have you got you vid uploaded anywhere?

It would be great if it could be embedded into this topic!

... i`ll get my tissues & :popcorn: out!

I posted it up a while back.

I know the thing you mean - I think it kinda needs it! You can take the mesh screens out of the intake and the air box, that helps with air flow.

I also recommend the float bowl vent mod if you haven't done it already:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/Features/ventbowl.html.

you need them resonators!!

they actually help air flow

ha ha ha Live and learn I guess.

Wish I spoke to you a few years back.. :lol: :lol: