2015 690 SMC-R

MrBrightside

Thought I'd do a quick review of my bike now I've had it just shy of a year...

Ok. The story was this...I had a big cruiser and had an accident, which saw it written off. I like 'different' bikes, not clit bikes. So I've never owned a supermoto before and nearly bought a Hypermotard, but then went into Jim Aimes to look at a 990smc, and fell in love with the 690.

So, after a few days I rang up and put the deposit down. I also opted for the Evo 1 kit, which is the full Titinium Akra system, air box mod and map.

This thing is quick. I don't mean top end, but quick off the mark. It barks like hell on the gas, sounds amazing. It's also very, very light which is great for throwing it about, but horrific if you get stuck behind a hgv. You get bounced about like a turd in a piss pot.

Suspension is first class and all WP. Breaks, bang on. Loads of feel from the front Brembo but it does dive a lot. Also has ABS, which you can disable, or if you want to be a hero, get the KTM dongle which keeps abs on up front but let's the rear lock and slide all day long so you can back it in. Not for me ;)

This is a bike for country roads. No ifs or buts. It's horrible on dual carriageways and motorways, and the tank range is poor. Fuel tank is under seat and you access it by a tiny flap behind the seat. It's awkward filling this thing up, which you do, often.

Overall quality wise it's beautiful. Extremely well put together and very focused. Sticks to Tarmac like an urban limpet.

Very expensive at £7995 but again it's arguably the best road going pure supermoto.

The single cylinder 690 twin spark is surprisingly smooth for a thumper, and (almost) quiet on tick over. The throttle can be a bit snatchy but this is the second KTM I've had (RC8) and seems to be the trend with KTM. I've had people believe this bike is a 125 :D until they actually read the 690 logo. The riding position is comfy, but I get cramp in my cooch after about 45 mins and have to stand up on the pegs to get blood flowing there again, which makes you feel like your pissing yourself. Maybe I am, I'm getting old anyway...

So would I reccomend this bike?

I'd have to say no. Not because it's a bad bike, but unless your adamant all you want to do is be a hooligan on the back wheel or hood around country lanes, if that's the case it will be the bike for you. But it's not a 'do it all' bike it's a second bike in the garage to go nuts on, staying well away from fast roads. Which is why I'm getting shot of it and returning to sports bikes again. I will be sad to see it go, but of all the bikes I've ever owned, I will miss this one the least.

Great bike, wrong type of rider (me) for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Been to see this 2016 and the husqvana 701sm today, i went to try the husqvana but found this better for me size handling and ride

Nice write up! I'm looking at changing the XJR for an older Duke 690 like the link below, I've read elsewhere they do good mileage which is what I want as be using it for daily commute on country roads and city traffic. But yours wasn't from sounds of it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361729226269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

Mr B wrote the review, but the duke is a different bike.

Its very capable but i would recommend the later dukes.

Better alround, i just didn't feel the thrill. Pushed the 690 tester corner wise and it felt very planted but just not fun enough for me

Mr B wrote the review, but the duke is a different bike.

Its very capable but i would recommend the later dukes.

Better alround, i just didn't feel the thrill. Pushed the 690 tester corner wise and it felt very planted but just not fun enough for me

Well spotted! Nice review Mr B! There seems to be a fair few variants of the 690? I really like the look of the one I put the link up for, the latest versions not so keen on, they look like been squashed length wise.

• 4 years later...