KTM 950 SM (2007)

Cpt_Tact

What model was it? KTM 950 SM (carbs)

When did you buy it and how much did it cost? Swapped it for a GSX-R750 K9 on the 26/08/2016 (done 900 miles in 3 days)

Good points?

Where to start really, I have ridden a lot of motox in my younger days but alas as our group got older people got married/ kids etc and so ended up on my tod and started riding road bikes as I felt it was safer on my own as more likely to be spotted in a hedge rather than in the middle of a woods somewhere that you shouldn't be!

This I can only say is a hilarious bike, I mean properly hilarious! The torque is fantastic for drive out of the corners/ over taking etc and it just loves being dropped on its side with your leg hanging out! Its designed with one purpose and that is to be a knob on the road and I don't mean 170mph+ in a 30 limit I mean on the twisties winding up the sportsbike crew where all you can see is them looking and looking in the mirror wondering what you are riding. Its designed for late breaking, locking up the rear and blowing peoples eardrums.

It can be ridden like a Sunday driver whilst you admire the scenery and when required crank it open and it puts an instant smile on your face and you just start giggling. There are no real words to describe this bike and having come from motox, to sports and now supermoto I really dont know why I didnt go for it before. It does the lot and it is even happy at 90mph with the additional screen on the motorway with no drama at all.

The build quality is standard KTM so pretty damn good, the engine is spot on but the biggest plus for me is the suspension as it just soaks up the "quality" British tarmac/ pot holes/ mud/ gravel with ease even in sport settings. It gives you the confidence that everything will be ok providing you dont do anything really foolish. The ride height is high but great for seeing over cars and hedges.

Bad points?

I need padded cycling shorts as the seat is only good for about 100 miles (tops).

I need platformed shoes as with a 29" inside leg I am seriously on my tip toes and have to pre-plan which leg I will be putting down when stopping.

Limited fuel range, ride as intended and light will be on at 90-100 miles.

Would you get another?

Hell yes I am now sold with the big supermoto on British roads - I am done with top end and now just want to have a laugh with my mates at sensible speeds but actually have to work the bike and see who can get the biggest squeal coming in to a bend :)

Any other comments?