BMWS1000XR vs S1000R vs 1200RS vs S1000RR vs FAZER FZS600

Valko

Hello,

Yamaha Fazer FZS600 is currently my own bike and my benchmark against any new bike that I may buy. Probably I will keep the Fazer even after buying new bike just in case.

1. Weather protection - I am all year round commuter and fun biker. The Fazer is half faired, but the weather protection works fine.

2. Seat comfort - the Fazer has very comfortable big seat.

3. Power and throttle control. The Fazer is 95hp IL4. Good enough for me. The engine needs revving, but I actually like that. It is old fashioned carb no fuel injection and no traction control. Lack of fuel injection may be a good thing, some new ride by wire injection one bikes are known to have snatchy throttle. The Fazer throttle is accurate and precise, and you know what to expect from the carb all the time. I provide my own traction control.

4. Brakes – can’t stress how important are for me. Fazer brakes are without ABS, but are powerful and progressive. Again providing my own ABS.

5. Bike weight, chassis and steering – the bike is fairly light, the steering is accurate and sharp.

6. Suspension – it has room for improvement, but suits me fine after set up for my 16 stone.

This is my benchmark. Any new bike that I will possibly consider must be better in all major six points above in order for me to consider it.

Otherwise it may be a perfect bike for someone’s else requirements, but not for me.

Note: The more automated rider help the better. I am not a luddite. Give me all your traction controls and cornering ABSes with dynamic suspensions. Providing you satisfy all the other requirements like sharp handling and brakes with good feedback.

BMW S1000XR and R1200RS. Both very nice bikes. The XR is almost brilliant.

Bear in mind my final rating is based on my personal preferences and riding style. Yours may be different.

Here is the test route: https://goo.gl/maps/wjhba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately I do not had too much time for that so it was about 30 minutes ride fore each bike. Total of one hour fun.

I have started the test ride with the XR. Standard seat suits me perfectly.

I am 183cm (6 foot) high and weight 100kg (16 stone) - I know I should eat less burgers

Anyhow on standard seat I can get both my foot firmly on the ground. Although the position feels very high compared to the Fazer. You seat on the bike and the seat keeps your bum supported firmly from behind. Think sofa. To me compared to the Fazer was like I am seating in a double decker bus. Not sure yet that is a good or a bad thing.

So the whole sofa thing moves very well. It is unbelievably agile and flickable. Once you got used to the position you just want to swerve left and right. The steering is very light and the bike leans almost telepathically.

The engine has distinct agricultural sound. Feels like you are on the top of very light and capable tractor.

The gears are very smooth. Because the engine has good pull you can ride it basically in any gear. I have to say I have not used the 6th at all. Honestly 3rd is all you ever need to stay legal. XR moves with the speed of your thoughts without been intimidating you are always in control. I have used TC on, ABS on, Road settings for the engine and Dynamic settings for the suspension on both bikes. Both of them were full extra models with everything you will ever need. I have not used most of it. Only few times on the XR traction control light was obviously fixing my lack of skills

ABS has not been engaged no kittens were killed during the test ride. I have to say it was very fun. I can do that every day for sure.

XR pulls off in 5th from about traffic lights at 15mph without any clutch slip needed at all. When you pick up the revs the sounds gets little better from distinct agricultural to slightly howling agricultural. That is fine with me. The sound is not anywhere high in my bike features priorities list. Although I prefer Fazer screaming banshee standard exauts high revs sound. Probably you can get Akrapovic or Remus and tune it to your taste.

Based on the handling and the high position with very good visibility we may have the perfect commuter bike here for the XR. The XR also wins in the engine department. It has the most power and it is the most relaxed and predictable power delivery in all revs. You know exactly what happens at all times.

My conclusion is the XR is not a touring nor adventure bike at all. It likes to be revved. If you look for long touring smooth ride no vibes bike look elsewhere.

The XR is a sport bike with perfect seat and bars (I like) and high road position (ermmm not sure about it).

Now the RS. It was big disappointment to me. Initially I was expecting this is the bike I will like most. Do not get me wrong it is great bike. But does not make much sense to my riding style.

First the position. Think about proper sport bike. You feel tucked into the RS and you need to hug it. Not funny. Does not make sense to me because if you have that position with this engine its not very comfy. It has enormous by my standards low toque pull. In fact I may have pulled low wheelie after going out of a roundabout to the A404 dual carriageway. I was in 2nd gear and Land rover Sport was closing behind me too close for my liking on the roundabout. I have pulled the throttle probably too ambitiously and surprise small wheelie/slapper/change of pants :lol It got ok I have moved to 3rd and the carriageway was disappearing fast behind. The bike is fun. But not as predictable and forgiving like XR.

Engine wise for my riding style the worst is the RS. Sure plenty of power. Too much torque when I do not need it.

On the dual carriageway when doing speed RS feels more planted with better aerodynamics.

In the twisties RS feels heavy to me. XR is way much better. Even the old Fazer steering is better. The RS slow and high speed control is fenomenal. But the bend steering was weird. It hesitates to lean a little and than suddenly goes down, probably too low CoG. IMO it may over steers a little in medium speed twisties. The XR is way better steering.

Funny enough I have collected the most admiration when riding via Marlow on the RS. Not sure why and not sure I like that. Probably the low rumbling sound of it. Basically the RS is a show off bike. More fashion statement than sense IMO.

Second test ride day. I have done one more test ride this time on BMW S1000RR and S1000XR, this time going for 4 hours ride. This time I have used the quickshifter lot more. I like it. But is something that is nice to have. I do not mind manual changes even blipping the throttle myself actually gives me nice warm feeling fo good gear change. All in all cannot stress how good is S1000XR.

About the RR: long story short the RR seat and riding position is completely unbearable for me. I am just too fat, too tall and I do not have rubber neck. The RR wrists and feet position feels better for me than RS though. The engine is just brilliant. The handling is superb. Just not for me because of my neck mostly.

Final rating:

1. Handling steering - XR, RR, Fazer, RS

2. Engine and power delivery - XR, RR, Fazer, RS - note obviously the RS has more power than the Fazer I just do not like the engine for my riding.

3. Seat and position - Fazer, XR, RS, RR.

4. Look - draw for all for the front side look, sidewise look - XR, RS, RR, Fazer - no surprise here good old Fazer looks ugly sidewise

5. Sound - RR, Fazer, RS, XR - note I am not a fan of low rumbling Harley style sound. For you it may be the RS.

My conclusion so far is - I would have the XR, but not convinced that I can let the Fazer go yet.

Next on my list for test rides is GSX-S1000F and MT10.

Despite having 3 cameras I do not have any videos of the ride. You know why. Ta Da :D

Edited by Valko

The XR is a very capable all rounder and the RR is an excellent sports bike that can be ridden as a daily ride.

Cruise control and heated grips as standard are nice to have.

If I had the space (and time to ride them) I would have both!

But since I only ride weekends for fun I opt for the sportsbike.

If I had to chose one for a daily ride... Tricky choice...

• 4 months later...

Update: Just test rode S1000R today too. We have a winner. It is the bike I like the most from all BMWs so far. The bike I rode was S1000R Sport with all extras except cruise control.

Position is way forward in to the tank and the front wheel. You can get used to it.

The gears are better than XR. Because the engine has good pull you can ride it basically in any gear. I have to say I have not used the 6th too much again as in XR. Honestly 3rd is all you ever need to stay legal. Like XR the S1000R moves with the speed of your thoughts without been intimidating and you are always in control. I have used TC on, ABS on, the Dynamic Pro settings for the engine and Dynamic settings for the suspension.

S1000R is sharper than XR. And you can ride it faster easier. Surpisingly for me on the motorway without fairing it does better speeds than the Fazer with less wind. Or at least that is how I feel it. I mean there is wind, but because the bike has better engine somehow it is easier.

IMO S1000R feels sharper than S1000RR too. I know it shouldn't be, but it feels that way to me. If you order them it will be RS is like a boat compared to others, than Fazer is sharper, the XR is very sharp, the RR is better and finally the S1000R is like knife in a butter. You can change direction any time in the bend left or right and it just goes there. My abilities are way off what that bike can do . Just happy

The only think I do not like too much is the seat. It is nice seat for one or two hour rides. But it is very thin. getting back to the Fazer was like sitting in a sofa.

Final rating:

1. Handling steering - 1000R, XR, Fazer, RS

2. Engine and power delivery - 1000R, XR, Fazer, RS - note obviously the RS has more power than the Fazer I just do not like the engine for my riding.

3. Seat and position - Fazer, seat XR, 1000R, posution 1000R beats Xr for me, last one is still the RS.

4. Look - draw for all from the front look, side look - 1000R, XR, RS, Fazer - no surprise here good old Fazer looks ugly sidewise.

5. Sound - 1000R, Fazer, RS, XR - note I am not a fan of low rumbling Harley style sound. For you it may be the RS. 1000R has really nice sound in high revs.

The final conclusion I may get one S1000R, but will still keep the Fazer for short touring and winter hack/commute. If you want a bike for long touring you need the XR.

Still I have not find complete Fazer replacement - I mean bike that can do kind of sporty rides, but also to be able to touring and to do bad weather/commute. I mean if I have to have only one bike I will keep the Fazer for now.

Or seat upgrade for the S1000R and a new screen may do the trick?

http://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7288/27442653414_abfa6ed5d0_h.jpg

http://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7466/28056276135_2f9247d71d_h.jpg

The main thing which I like towards BMWs is the IL4 engine. I know most people like BMWs for the famous boxer twin. For some reason it is not my cup of tea. Too much torque and less fun. Of course it depends on your definition of fun. Mine is high revving IL4 :)

I have high hopes on the new MT10 in some faired version like Tracer 1000? We'll wait and see.