Scrambler

Remy

After getting my Guzzi just over a year ago, I thought it would be 'the one' but apart from loving it's looks, I never did gel with all the vibrations and lack of power. I was almost on the verge of giving up riding, tentatively looking at an MT07, when a friend said had I seen the Scrambler - I had seen a pic of it on a magazine, loved it, but dismissed it out of hand as I assumed it would be too big/heavy/high as they usually are! Well I went along to a Ducati dealer, had a sit on it and was amazed that it was so light, compact and most importantly - I could touch the ground!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

They suggested I take it for a test ride, I thought, well why not it's the first bike I ever will have! So they started it up for me - I got all excited as I thought WOW what an exhaust noise, till they said it was a Termignoni and not stock :roll: . Anyway it was perfect from the start, everything about it fitted me, and when I retuned to the dealer I put in an order :mrgreen: .

I've now had it a month and a half and I absolutely LOVE it. It's not perfect - the throttle is very sensitive and snatchy at slow speeds and on uneven surfaces, and the suspension isn't great. But I've got used to it's quirks and am replacing the rear shock with a Nitron, hopefully that will help with the throttle as well. It doesn't have a lot of luggage space so no top box for me (have to use a rucksack!) but it is brilliant for zipping around country lanes and it's plenty powerful enough for swift overtakes.

It's not a tourer, or a sports bike, or a cruiser - but it's loads of FUN! It's semi knobbly tyres can cope with a bit of off road although nothing serious, but it gives lots of confidence on unstable surfaces. It's totally right for me :D

Engine : 803cc v-twin, air cooled

BHP : 75

Seat height : 790mm (with 770 low option)

Weight : 186kgs (wet)

Tank : 13.5 litres - a bit small but I am averaging 59-60mpg and got 165 miles before fuelling

Good write up.

Have you tried adjusting the throttle free play a touch? I would add a fraction more to accommodate for the bumps.

Also have you thought about riding the clutch a little when the throttle gets a bit snatchy at slow speeds.

Not telling you how to ride your bike by any means just a couple of things that might help.

Good write up.

Have you tried adjusting the throttle free play a touch? I would add a fraction more to accommodate for the bumps.

Also have you thought about riding the clutch a little when the throttle gets a bit snatchy at slow speeds.

Not telling you how to ride your bike by any means just a couple of things that might help.

Yes I do ride the clutch to smooth things when needed, I've not adjusted the free play but did ask the dealers to check it at first service; they said it was basically the nature of the beast so I'm going to see what happens after I change the shock :) .

Great review.

I rode the BMW R nine T yesterday.

I thought about you as I think you also tried the R nine T but opted for the ducati instead.

Interestingly the dealer mentioned BMW will be bringing out a scrambler next year.. When I said it was clearly competition for the ducati, they didnt like that!

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it. Wonder if you could fit a power commander to smooth out the power delivery?

Good write up.

Yes I do ride the clutch to smooth things when needed, I've not adjusted the free play but did ask the dealers to check it at first service; they said it was basically the nature of the beast so I'm going to see what happens after I change the shock :) .

Do these actually have a throttle cable? Or are they fly by wire?

Scrambler is cable. Joeman the RnineT is too big and heavy for me, the Scrambler is just right! Don't think the BM Scrambler would directly compete with the Duc, from what I've been it's much bigger and heavier looking. Well as far as I'm concerned anyway :mrgreen:

yep i reckon the BMW scrambler will basically be the R nineT with nobly tyres..

Are you going to fit a tail tidy to yours? Evotech do them

http://www.scramblerforum.com/attachments/image-jpg.590/

yep i reckon the BMW scrambler will basically be the R nineT with nobly tyres..

Are you going to fit a tail tidy to yours? Evotech do them

http://www.scramblerforum.com/attachments/image-jpg.590/

When I first saw a picture of it I thought it looked really weird with the gap between plate and fender - but now I have got used to it and actually prefer it!

I've got Evotech crash bungs which are huge - bloody good job though as a friend 'helped' me to reverse the bike when I wasn't expecting it and threw me totally off balance, and I dropped the bike!! :crybaby: :crybaby: . Thankfully the only damage was a scuff to the crash bung - but I could have killed him :hammer: :hammer: . At least I know they work :roll: