Yamaha YBR125 ★★★★☆

mealexme

Model: Yamaha YBR 125

When did you buy it and how much did it cost? bought on the 22.03.11 for £1200 as the third owner. The bike had been previously involved in an accident and the second owner bought it as a project and sold it onto me

Year: 58 plate, so end of 2008

Colour: black (the best colour)

Good points

the engine is built to last, and last it is doing. You cant fault it!

Minimal maintenance (chains/sprockets/oil etc, but they are all relativity cheap to do)

cheap as chips to insure

comfy seat

fuel economy is brilliant

Bad points

Well, its a 125, so tragic top speed (have had over 70 on it, but only downhill).

The mirrors are bad compared to my scooter. First time I went out on it, luckly I hadnt (and still havnt) taken life savers for granted as there was a car hiding in my lind spot. The missors are still stiff though, unlike my scooter (they stay in the place you leave them)

riding position isn't right for me, I often find myself putting my toes on the foot rests, to get my legs further back.

The gears have a mind of their own sometimes (rarely though). When taking it from 2nd to 1st it can get stuck in neutral, no matter how hard you push down on the gears and you have to de- and re-clutch to get it in. Also putting it into neutral, it can feel like it goes in, and the neutral light comes on but it stalls when you stop.. (is still in 1st/2nd) - this is a problem I have heard about before with these bikes, but you do get used to it and it just adds to the character

The tyres are thin and they seem to like going in the groves in the road and taking you off course slightly, however even the stock ones feel quite grippy (not quite grippy enough to totally get rid of the chicken strips though)

As always, its easier to point out the flaws than it is the good points...

Bad points specific to my bike

A bad point of my particular bike is it has broken down once since i have had it. It was due to water getting into the electrics and blowing the fuse. I had a look and there was a bare wire, but I think that may have been due to either the first owner crashing it or the second fixing it.

Front wheel was buckled still when I got it, but that was due to

Would I get another?

Well, probably not, but only because its a 125 and the next bike I want is a 600. Although, put it this way. If it becomes a write off before I pass my test, I wouldnt rule out getting another YBR

Other comments?

I cant really fault it (apart from the gears at times) and the riding position not to my liking. Its a good little bike, and great around town. Easy to filter with and gives great confidence for a beginner.

In all honesty I would give it a 4/12 out of 5 rather than 4 like i put in the title (but i dont know how to do a half star)

I have the YBR 125 CUSTOM.... its brill ... love going all over and around town on it... topped 74 mph on mine on the flat ...loads up quiet well but feels light on the front when you load it like i do ....but fuel consumption has been great on it...

Had mine from new ..{may 2010 } and its just starting to show some odd rust spots ..other wise no complaints , :love:

907814295_16052011510-Copy.jpg.9e42e39d707fd98dbb79cbfea7969847.jpg

just a little loaded up...

• 1 month later...

Mines 2 years old and fantastic. Fuel lsat forever.

On 4th headlight bulb now though, not sure if this is a common fault.

BIG sticker on mirror as you just can't see the indicator light when its still flashing if your looking forward. Poor design!

S

• 3 weeks later...

I bought mine in July last year brand new, it was a 10 plate but a 2009 model, cost me £1899. Black (of course!).

I absolutely loved it, was a very easy bike to manoeuvre and handle and the upright riding position was perfect for me. I took it everywhere - Shropshire hills, mountainous Welsh sheep tracks and it never put a foot (wheel) wrong. I dropped it a few times but that was down to my total inexperience :oops: . For a basic bike to learn to ride on I don't think you can get much better.

Good Points

Light and easy to manoeuvre

No weird handling faults

Good turning circle

Excellent battery - well mine was anyway, I stored it last October and it started first time in March

Upright riding position (if that's your thing)

Amazing fuel consumption - some rides I got nearly 280 to the tank

Comfortable seat

I easily got over 70mph on mine but think that does depend on rider weight and if you are going uphill/downhill :lol: (does get noisy though!)

Bad Points

Very weak front headlight

Did get stuck in neutral sometimes, when pulling away

I was reluctant to part with it when I passed my test as I was a bit nervous of the Gladius, after having a mishap involving too much throttle and not being able to put my feet on the ground. However once I ventured out on the Gladius, there was no turning back - bye bye YBR! :mrgreen:

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 2005 55 plated one, With the Big front fairing, Kept it for 1 year rode it through winter and never had a problem, i however did manage to drop it and damage the front end, Because i had the big fairing version (wasnt very popular in the uk) i couldnt source replacement parts so mum and dad where visiting there villa in turkey and managed to pick up the parts from there. Engine was good but could of done with more power

This is the version i had (not my bike nicked it from google)

http://www.motosikletilan.com/images/products/6623/Yamaha_YBR_125_2005_2_image.jpg

• 1 month later...

Used the custom in my cbt... it ticks all the boxes

Amazing mpg so i can commute to work at quarter the price of the car.

Keeps up with most cars yes slow for a bike, but its a 125!

The size is great im 6ft 4 and i dont dwarf the bike..its a looker.. its a bargain 2700 new at current. You reguarly see them on autotrader, keeping their value and going well with high milage. And if i can just pursuade the partner...ill have one soon!

• 2 months later...
Im so keen for one of these YBR125's when I've done my CBT, can't wait !!

EDIT* was just wondering what bulbs the headlight takes?

The worst ones on earth! Seriously, dont ride in the dark. They are "Bulb wattage x quantity: 12V 35w /35w (1pc)"

I have rode mine in pitch black conditions with no streetlights etc...

The original headlight in my 2010 model was perfectly fine, I survived. I have since upgraded to a halogen bulb (£14), and that has improved the headlight. So theres nothing to worry about in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Cracking description...i purchased the same about 1 month ago. Been riding it constantly and it's really done me well! (1200miles so far and counting...)

Also have the same issue with gear-changing/neutral. I've found on mine it also does it (Very very rarely) between 4th -> 5th. Never the other way around and I get the same issue as you mentioned with the neutral-bug!

Wind definitely surprised me though, this bike definitely likes to follow it! Think I need to eat a few more McDonald's!

And yes. Headlight....I keep a wind-up tesco's torch on me, coming back from Stanstead airport and wow....darkness.....the Tesco's torch actually came in useful wedged in at the front of the bike to see the road-markings! Off to pick up a decent bulb this week!

Onto the next bike in a few months! I can't see me loosing too much money on the purchase though, I may decide to keep it as a town-only bike but un-decided....