YAMAHA XJ 600 N

polecat

YAMAHA XJ600N

2000 model bought last june for £1200 in the local paper with 24000 miles

It has taken me nearly a year to get used to this bike but feel now to be able to write a reasonable review.

Naked in black the bike is restricted to 33BHP and in really good condition for its age.

Not many think much of the XJ600 often thought of as a cheap winter hack to use and abuse but actually it is suprisingly stylish and has a very good build quality proved by the condition of the chrome parts and the fact apart from the odd bolt there is no rust anywhere.

Riding this bike restricted Means it is much more revvy than it should be which causes a lot of vibration at 40-50mph

apparently the gear ratio is much better when the bike is at full power.

Enough acceleration to give a thrill off the line yet not too much to cause the bike to feel out of control.

This bike is Very comfortable and you can ride it for hours without needing a stop it seems to run about 150 miles on a full tank but this would go up after restriction removed.

The easiest bike to work on : take off the tank (one bolt) remove the seat (key) and everything is exposed and looks like what you would expect it to.

The worse thing about the bike is the fact its naked and you get full weather experience but powerbronze do a full fairing kit if required or you could get the 600S half faired version.

They all have the YAMAHA clutch rattle on idle but you get used to it and it causes no real harm

Lots of parts on ebay and one of the cheapest bikes to insure so the XJ600N is an economical choise for new riders as well.

Overall an excellent yet highly under rated bike that in my view is a better alternative to the Suzuki bandit more than enough power for the standard use of a motorcycle with the added benefit of cheap motoring....and it is YAMAHA :cheers:

• 7 months later...

Passed my DAS two weeks ago and I've just bought a xj600n picking it up Monday, went for because the running costs are so low and for a first big bike didn't want anything that was going to rip my arms off and scare me. So I looked at lots of reviews and this one was the best option for me :)